Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Mount and Edit backup files directly?

Post by SBarrett847 »

I have a need to be able to remove customers files from our File servers in the even that they no longer subscribe to our Hosted desktop service.

In order to comply with Data Protection Laws I must remove all of their data after they leave, including data contained in Long term backups. Is it possible to mount and Edit the Veeam backup files in order to remove these files from the Veeam Backup files?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Mount and Edit backup files directly?

Post by veremin »

Is it possible to mount and Edit the Veeam backup files in order to remove these files from the Veeam Backup files?
Nope, unless you follow restore/re-backup approach. Thanks.
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Post by SBarrett847 »

Ouch :) I'll figure something out
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

If they leave, then from a Veeam B&R perspective the VMs would be gone, correct? If so, I believe you can use the "remove deleted VMs data after" setting in the backup job along with the "Defragment and compact full backup file" setting to remove those VMs' data from the backup files.

Joe
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Since the OP's talking about file shares, I guess he is more concerned with the deletion of particular files that used to belong to fired individuals. If so, removed deleted VMs data after wouldn't help. Thanks.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Ah, I misread that as remove customers' backup files. Ok that makes more sense. Then an option going forward (but this wouldn't address currently existing backups) would be to do a separate job per client, using the include specific files part of BitLooker. Create a separate job for each client. Of course this assumes each client's data is in its own folder or share. But using that method, it's a simple task of deleting the backup files for that client when they leave and their data is removed from the environment.

Joe