Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
spiderp2351
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Markus Lehmann

Mount failed / Recovery Individual guest files after Upgrade

Post by spiderp2351 »

Hi,
After Upgrade to Veaam 4.0, i can´t restore individual guest files.
After Upgrade to 4.0 reboot was done and the Vwmare Player 3.0 alread installed.

All veeam Network Backups (windows 2003 server) are successfull.

Server Esx 3.5

Error Message:

Mount Failed
Client error: Unexpected driver version: [16777219].
Cannot open the driver object.
The filesystem cannot be mounted. Mount point [C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\MService\Lokale ......\Temp\1\VeeamVirt].

Please Help,

Thanks
Markus
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Mount failed / Recovery Individual guest files after Upgrade

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Markus,

Actually, VMware Player 3.0 is not supported right now, only 2.5 version, please have a look at our release notes. I believe this is the cause of your issue.
spiderp2351
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Markus Lehmann

Post by spiderp2351 »

Ok, I have uninstalled Player 3.0 and it is not possible to restore individual files from windows vm´s and I found following information in the forum:

look at http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... e+vm#p5713

"Steven, please note that you do not need to use VMware Player and File Level Restore plug-in to restore individual files from Windows VM. Windows file level restore capability is built into the product. So, you should simply run the Restore wizard from Veeam Backup UI, and select the "restore individual guest OS files" option."

What should i do ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Markus,

Have you tried to launch built-in FLR? You can do that by either right-clicking on your VM from a backup in the console or pushing Restore button in the top control panel. Cause as you already know we've got two ways of FLR. By the way have you rebooted your Backup Server after the upgrade took place?

If you still experience issues with built-in file level restore, please send us veeamshell.log from Help|Support Information to support@veeam.com, so we could help you in resolving that issue.

Thank you.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Windows files can generally be restored directly from within the Veeam GUI, no need for VMplayer at all. From the main Veeam Backup screen simply select the "Restore" button on the toolbar and choose "Individual Guest Files" in the wizard. Walk through the wizard to select the job, VM, and restore point that you want to restore files from and, after a short delay, a simple file browser should open.

The File Level Restore wizard is a separate application that is used primarily to restore from non-Windows systems. It works by running a small Linux virtual machine to mount the backup image. While the latest version of VMplayer is 3.0 you can still get VMplayer 2.5 from the VMware website (current release is 2.5.3). When you go to download VMplayer 3.0 the older versions are listed in a section that says "Looking for other versions of VMware Player".