Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Conrad Goodman

Move VBR to new hardware with local storage.

Post by ConradGoodman »

I need to migrate 2 x VBR servers (Servers 1 and 2) to new hardware. 1 of them is an enterprise manager, both contain copy backup jobs that go to partner servers (Servers 3 and 4) elsewhere.

It is not so clear in the kbid what happens with Enterprise Manager if you have an all in one installation of VBR and EM: https://www.veeam.com/kb1889#migratewconfigbkp

"This section describes how to move the Enterprise Manager (EM) database to a different SQL if the EM is installed separately from the Backup & Replication."

It then does not provide steps for what to do with EM if its an all in one installation.

a few questions.

1) what happens with EM in an all in one installation, if we use the kbid steps to do a configuration backup restore?
2) if this does restore EM, does it then have the old backup servers name and data as seperate identities or does it merge the job histories etc from the old server name to the new server name?
3) what will happen to my backup copy job on server 3 and 4 that point to server 1 and 2? Will I need to reconfigure the repositories on those servers that point to the new servers 1 and 2?

This is a complex task and the lack of documentation from veeam is putting me off.

Am I better off just building new backup servers and migrating the jobs and repositories onto them?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Move VBR to new hardware with local storage.

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Conrad.
Mention of "...if EM is installed separately" applies to following process of copying DB configuration tools, as they are not present at EM installation folders by default. Moving EM database to a new server is the same as for VBR. However link in the KB is outdated, we will fix it. Here is one for v10.
1. DB Config Utility works with both, VBR and EM. Copy respectful SQL DB to a new server and apply DBConfig utility to a freshly installed VBR\EM servers.
2. New server will have a new machine name I guess? We do not alter Windows machine name and will use whatever you have for us. DB Configuration tool points our installed products to correct SQL Instance\DB Name to use with 100% identical configuration as product had on old machine. If EM was connected to VBR_OLD, new "migrated" EM will still have VBR_OLD in it's configuration.
3. Repository should be updated as well if paths change - say VBR_OLD had Repository F:\Backups and you migrate to a fresh VBR_NEW with D:\Backups. Backup locations shall be updated manually since you change physical location of backups outside Veeam knowledge.
/Thanks!
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast

Post by ConradGoodman »

Hi

Thanks for your link for v10, but this is just a link to a utility; not a set of instructions like the KB for v9

I am trying to plan an upgrade to our veeam infrastructure, lack of suitable documentation on moving a server with B&R and EM is a bit of a problem for us!

Can someone from Veeam get a new KB written, or if it does exist, point me to it.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Well, KB1889 is the one. It has step by step description on how to move VBR and\or EM servers to a new machine. Which part of it looks confusing\missing to you?
/Thanks!
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast

Post by ConradGoodman »

Only that it is for v9 as you said, and you gave a link saying 'here is one for v10', but its just a link to a tool and not a KBID.

So the answer is use the one for v9, and where moving the database is concerned use that tool, but thats not really a list of steps.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Sorry for confusion, I was talking about outdated DB Config Utility link mentioned in Migration KB1889. Migration process described in KB1889 is valid for v10.
/Cheers!
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast

Post by ConradGoodman »

OK Thanks Egor :)
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast

Post by ConradGoodman »

Hi Egor

I'm just revisiting this thread as I'm about to test the migration.

I am still unclear on one thing:

If I use 'Configuration Backup/Restore' as recommended in the KBID; will this also restore enterprise manager database (all in one installation of EM and VBR).

or do I have to move a SQL DB and use dbconfig util for EM?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Conrad,
In a simple scenario you can install fresh EM and point it to a new(migrated) VBR server under Configuration tab again - that will populate all historical backup sessions, restore points, jobs etc. That will not migrate EM-specific custom settings like notification options, custom roles etc. To fully migrate EM you need to perform SQL Database migration path combined with dbconfig.
Just for the sake of being paranoid, you might want to also Export\Import an old EM Master Key set, if you have used it.
/Cheers!