Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JohnGG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John G

Moving DR server

Post by JohnGG »

Gday everyone, hey we are planning on moving the DR server to another branch to ensure we have full copies of all servers away from our current office in case of fire/flood etc etc.
Now the network sub-net is different so whats involved in editing the IP for the target DR server, can this be done in the replication schedule i already have?

I was hopping its just a matter of changing the IP address in Veeam to pointto the new IP subnet?

Currently using version 7.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Moving DR server

Post by Shestakov »

Hello John,
If you added the server by its FQDN name, no problems should arise. You just need to flush DNS tables.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Now the network sub-net is different so whats involved in editing the IP for the target DR server, can this be done in the replication schedule i already have?
If you're referring to VMs being replicated, then you can use re-ip function to change the subnet.
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Post by JohnGG »

No i set them up using IP, the vCenter server is by IP (The replicating from) and the standard host is IP as well (Replicating to).
So does this mean i will have to remove the standard host and re-add it when i configure the new IP address? I guess it will want to check the disks which with 7 terabyte over 10 meg connection would take a week!

Can i just edit the replication schedule and add the new host (It would be the same but with new IP) and it will work straight off the bat?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you're changing replication target host's IP, you would need to re-specify it in the replication job and map the job to existing replicas. This will ensure that only changes will continue to be synchronized.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Otherwise, you can update the IP of already added server, using this script. Thanks.
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Post by JohnGG »

Ok cool, so i change the IP on the target server, move that down 400 km's away, make sure i can ping it from the source location and then with my current schedule, i would remove the target and then simply re-add it.
Would i then make sure to use low bandwidth so i can select the servers so it wont create a whole new replicated server because the IP has changed?

Im just a very cautions person and dont want this to go balls up lol.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, you would need to enable the Low connection bandwidth check box and map the replica job to existing VMs at the Seeding step.
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Post by JohnGG »

Ok i did a test last night, i disabled my normal replication of all servers and i created a new job and did one server but for some reason it started calculating the disk digest again even though i mapped it to the target DR.
So does this mean it will want to do this all over again if i delete/re-add the new IP address because that's not going to go down to well with the board of directors if thats the case.
7 terabyte over a 10 meg up (Actual transfer rate of 1 mbps) pipe would take weeks! I must be doing something wrong hey?

Why does it need to recalc the disk if it worked the night before and the target is exactly the same?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The digest recalculation is required after VM mapping. However, please be aware that the whole VM image would not be transferred through the link.

Once the recalculation is finished, only changed blocks will be replicated.

Thanks.
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Post by JohnGG »

Ahh ok thanks mate.
Well my trip down south may have to change because im sure the company doesn't want me to sit around for a week while the disk recalculates the digest :|.
I might have to drive down, set it up, start the digest and drive back (5 hours drive each way) and then give it a week and then if all goes well i wont have to revisit the branch again for a while.
So roughly every night its moving around 60-120 gig of data a night depending on exchange and sql server disk writes so we are just trying to see if our connection will handle that much in the back up windows of 12 hours.

Thanks for the reply mate.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. Kindly keep us updated on how well everything goes. Thanks.