Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fo_pal
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Moving large amounts of backup data without downtime?

Post by fo_pal »

Hello,

I have a simple repository (120TB) which is running out of space, so I'd like to move all the backups on it to a new, larger repository. The repository is used as a target for backup copy jobs and holds all of the GFS restore points.

My idea was to add both repositories to a SOBR and then evacuate the old one. This would take weeks over a gigabit link and would prevent new restore points from being written while the data is being moved. So I came up with a plan but I'm not sure about the last part of it:
1) Add the old repository to a new SOBR, Veeam automatically reconfigures the jobs to point to the SOBR
2) Add the new repository to the SOBR
3) Seal the old extent
4) Veeam creates Active Full restore points on the new extent
5) Wait a week or so until all the incremental restore points have been removed from the old extent by the retention policy
6) Put the old extent into maintenance mode
7) Evacuate the old extent

I'm not sure about points 6 and 7, since the page about sealing an extent only mentions waiting until all the restore points are aged out (10 years :) ) and the page about evacuating backups doesn't mention what happens when a previously sealed extent is being put in maintenance mode.

So, would this work?
IanBolton
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: IanE

Re: Moving large amounts of backup data without downtime?

Post by IanBolton »

No chance of doing anything with (multiple?) 10Gb interfaces here?
At the end of the day your backups are just files, so one way or another you have to copy them from A to B and like you say 1Gb is gonna drag....
fo_pal
Novice

Post by fo_pal » 1 person likes this post

True that would be ideal, but the old repository is on a Synology box with only gigabit interfaces.
I know I have to copy the files and it's going to take forever, I was just hoping that I could do it in the background without disabling the backup jobs for weeks.
IanBolton
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: IanE

Post by IanBolton »

I'll be honest I'm glad I don't have any requirement for 10y retention.... And that I use tape :-)
fo_pal
Novice

Post by fo_pal »

Does anyone know if this would work?