GordA
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gordon Armstrong

MS SharePoint Restore Questions

Post by GordA »

Hello,

New install and new to Veeam.

We're running VBR 8 with one mgmt. server(2012r2/SQL2012express), two proxies (2012r2) and two repositories (2012r2).

One job now configured encompasses all servers in our SharePoint 2013 farm.

Two load balanced Web servers (2012r2)
Two load balanced App servers (2012r2)
One OWA server (2012r2)
One SQL 2014 server (2012r2)

The backup jobs run successfully but when testing to see restore options, I'm right clicking on one of the Web serves and selecting Restore application items-Microsoft SharePoint content. I get the message to wait while Building the SharePoint farm topology, then I can see all the sites within the farm They all have yellow exclamation marks on them and if I choose one and click next, I get Unable to find SQL Server VM hosing the content database for the selected SharePoint site. Start File Level Recovery on the required VM, then launch SharePoint item recovery from the toolbar.

If I select the SQL 2014 server and choose Microsoft SharePoint from the Application Items drop down list, and proceed that way and start the Restore Wizard, I get an error saying that the selected SQL server is 2014 and the SQL used by the SharePoint Explorer on the mgmt. server is 2012 it can't proceed it looks like it's suggesting that I change the DB used by the Veeam Explorer for SharePoint.

Is this expected behavior?

I can understand the issue with the SQL install on the mgmt. server being 2012 and the SP SQL being 2014 and that causing hiccups.

If I go into Options for the Veeam Explorer for SharePoint, the SQL Server Settings tab just shows the SQL instance on the mgmt. server.

Is the overall limitation of the Veeam Explorers that the SQL instance on the mgmt. server be at the highest level in the organization? So as we have some SQL 2014 instances now popping up in our environment, we have to get the Instance on the VBR mgmt. server also at 2014?

Am I missing something? Workarounds?
Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are appreciated.

I see in the Posting window I'm supposed to include any existing case ID. I don't have one; we license our Veeam through our data center provider so I'm not sure if we have direct access to open our own cases.

Thanks.

G.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: MS SharePoint Restore Questions

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Gordon. You can have your data center provider open a support case to get your situation investigated properly. In any case, we cannot troubleshoot issues through forum posts as full debug logs are required at the very least (and possibly a webex). Thanks!
GordA
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gordon Armstrong

Post by GordA »

I will have a ticket opened, but I am interesting in others' thoughts and experience with backup and restore of SharePoint.

Thanks.

G.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Your specific issue indeed looks to be caused by the fact that backup server does not have a SQL Server 2014 instance available, from what I can see.