Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

MSSQL and new DB's + full/log backups

Post by pirx »

Hi,

how do other people take care of newly added databases and their full and log backups? With our current backup software we trigger a full backup of a new database after it was added. Other backup applications automatically trigger a full backup of a DB (only the DB, not the whole system). I learned now that this is not possible with Veeam at the moment and this a show stopper for our DB team. With Veeam we manually need to take a full backup of a VM with snapshot when a new DB was addded, this is not the ideal way, because new DB's can be added by applications at any time (Sharepoint for example). If there is no initial full backup of a new DB the transaction log backup will fail and no successful backup exists until the daily full backup is performed.

Given the number of MSSQL VM's that are backed up with Veeam, I'd think that there is a solution for this problem.
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Re: MSSQL and new DB's + full/log backups

Post by pirx »

So this is no problem for other users? How often do you run backups for SQL VMs? Once a day or more often? If we could run backups 4 times a days this would probably solve the problem with new databases, but I think the impact on production DB's with heavy load might be too much.