Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cgsm
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

Multi-threaded backup file validation for SureBackup

Post by cgsm »

Is there any setting to make backup file validation multi-threaded during a SureBackup? And by this I mean, can I run multiple validations at the same time?

I have a SureBackup job that runs daily. The SureBackup job "turns on" multiple VMs at the same time (per the job's settings), as expected, but the backup file validation occurs one VM at a time, sequentially. The backup file validation takes quite a long time.

However, if I run a backup file validation as part of a backup job for the same VMs, the validation only takes about a quarter of the time. I imagine this is because multiple VM's backup files are being validated at the same time, in parallel, although I am unsure.

In sum, my question is, how can I make SureBackup validations faster? Or is SureBackup simply checking more "stuff" then the validation performed with the backup job?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Multi-threaded backup file validation for SureBackup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to rule something out: could you maybe test 1 VM in SureBackup and 1 VM in a backup job and compare the times for health check?

To answer the question: there is no configuration setting to "make it faster"

Best regards,
Hannes
cgsm
Enthusiast

Post by cgsm »

Hannes,

I created a 1 VM backup job and SureBackup job. This VM is ~100GB in size. The backups files are stored in a locally attached SSD repo. When the backup job runs, the health check takes 0:56. When SureBackup runs, the validation takes 3:53. Quite a difference!

Let me know your thoughts.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
my thought is that it is a bug that. Looks like asynchronous read is not used in SureBackup. We added asynchronous read support for health checks in 11a. The speed improvements are discussed here

The difference in speed you mention fit pretty good :-)

Just do be sure: are you using 11a / latest update? QA confirmed that async read is used in SureBackup. So support should investigate why the difference exists. Please post the case number for reference.

Best regards,
Hannes
cgsm
Enthusiast

Post by cgsm »

Hannes,
Yes, I am on 11a.

I just opened a support case, #05287611.

Thanks
cgsm
Enthusiast

Post by cgsm »

First advice was to install 11a hotfix. Did this. No improvement in time to run validation between backup job and SureBackup job.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

ok, then support needs to research more in detail.
cgsm
Enthusiast

Post by cgsm »

As of now support has not found anything although they do recognize the issue and it has been elevated.

Maybe we are going at this the wrong way though. I submit this question:

Is there a difference between a Backup job "health check" (set via edit job > Storage > Advanced > Maintenance > Perform backup files health check) and a SureBackup job backup file "integrity scan" (set via edit job > Settings > Validate entire virtual disk content).

If there is a difference, what is is? Per my reading of the VBR docs, it seems like the same process occurs with either task: a CRC scan of the backup files. If this is true, it brings us back to the original topic of this thread: why does this take so much longer in a SureBackup job versus a Backup job.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

yes, health check and integrity scan are the same. I will talk to my colleagues whether we can change wording in future versions.
why does this take so much longer in a SureBackup job versus a Backup job.
yes, that's the question. I will check again with support what is taking so long to figure it out.
cgsm
Enthusiast

Post by cgsm »

Support has found that when per-VM backup files is enabled, a Backup job health check will process VMs in parallel. However, when a SureBackup job runs the verification is done sequentially. Obviously this causes the process to take significantly longer. Quite odd considering the "Process 'x' many VMs in parallel" option for a SureBackup job.

I, with my support representative, have filed a feature request for this so that SureBackup job verifications occur sequentially.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

thanks, I will check again. because I tested with one VM and had the same result. I will come back on this.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

sorry for the overall long delay... the issue is tracked as bug number 385854 and we will look into improvements after V12. It's more complex than my initial guess with "async read" vs "sync read".
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

Post by JPMS »

Did this get sorted in v12 or is "Perform backup files health check" in a backup job still much quicker than "Validate entire virtual disk contents" in a Surebackup job?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

it's still the same in V12, as we look into it only "after V12" (mentioned above).
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

Post by JPMS »

Sorry, you are quite correct. I saw the "V12" and didn't read the full sentence properly!