Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Multichannel communication between VBR Server and Repo?

Post by SBarrett847 »

I have a VBR server and Repo server connected over a 10gig fabric, each with 2x 10gig interfaces, all on the same subnet. I've setup 2 repos in VBR to the Repo Server, one as a Windows Server, and one as a SMB share.

If I do a simple file copy of a single large file between the servers, I max out both links to get 20gbps, due to SMB multichannel. Disappointingly Veeam communication between the servers is always over a Single NIC, no matter if the Repo is configured as a Windows server or SMB share.

Is this a Veeam limitation? Or is there something I can tweak for Veeam to spread TCP streams across all available NICs on that subnet?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Multichannel communication between VBR Server and Repo?

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

This is strange because in case of SMB share, we use standard API (CreateFile, WriteFile) which is the same as "simple file copy" uses. Did you specify VBR server as the gateway for SMB share based repo? If yes, then I think it makes sense to investigate it with support. Thanks!
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Re: Multichannel communication between VBR Server and Repo?

Post by SBarrett847 »

Ahh ok that's probably it, thanks. VBR server is on 2012 and doesn't support block cloning so I'd not set it as the Repo Gateway. I'd set the Repo Gateway server as the Repo Server itself ( it's running on Server 2016).

I'll look in to an upgrade of our VBR server after u4 is out I think.