Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
grantemsley
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Grant Emsley

Multiple hardened linux repositories on same backup server broken?

Post by grantemsley »

Not sure if this is something I've done wrong, or an actual bug or limitation. Does anyone have multiple hardened linux repositories setup and working on the same backup server?

Adding the first one went smoothly, but after adding the second one, the first broke, saying it was unavailable and rescan shows an error "An unknown error occurred while processing the certificate". Fixing the first server by going to properties, reentering the one time passwords, and letting it reinstall breaks the second one.

I think what's happening is that it's generating a new certificate and forgetting about the one used for the other server, or something to that effect. So only the most recently added server works. But it's also possible that I've just done something wrong in setting them up. On the upside, I hadn't yet completely disabled SSH, so at least I don't have to drive to each office to fix it.

I have a case open (02336607), just wondering if anyone else has tried having more than one hardened linux repository setup and if they ran into any issues.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Multiple hardened linux repositories on same backup server broken?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

No issue with that in my environment.
I have two hardened backup repos added to the same vbr.

Definetly not working is a single hardened repo with multiple vbr server. That will override the certificate.

Adding multiple hardened repo to a single vbr —> will work
Adding multiple VBR server to one single hardened Repo —> will not work
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
grantemsley
Influencer

Post by grantemsley »

I knew about not connecting it to two different backup servers. I've only got the one backup server so that's not an issue. Well, at least I know it's not an undocumented limitation or something then, thanks! Hopefully support will be able to figure out why it's not working for me.
grantemsley
Influencer

Post by grantemsley » 2 people like this post

Finished up with support, figured I'd report back in case someone else runs into the same thing.

Turns out that sometimes, if the SMBIOS of machines don't have a unique UUID, veeam gets confused and can't identify them properly. It seems foolhardy to identify machines by the SMBIOS UUID - its a great idea in theory, but there are a *lot* of vendors that don't bother filling that information out properly, so you really can't rely on it being unique.

But in any case, support was able to create some SQL queries to run against the veeam database to fix it. Thanks for all the assistance!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Thanks for the feedback :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software