Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mtahay
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michèle Tahay

multiple snapshot backups detected on sql, but only 1 restore point

Post by mtahay »

Hello,

I am a Sql Server DBA working for a customer using Veeam (partially) for sql backup & restores.
I have access to the Veeam Backup and Replication tool, where I see the sql servers split-up in multiple Veeam backup jobs.
I cannot see the properties of the jobs nor can I edit them. I did got enough permissions to see the jobs and their content, and restore single databases (they are taken with application aware on).

For some of the servers though, although I see only a restore point every 2 days in the Veeam B&R tool but whey I look through sql server at these servers I have multiple instances of backups per day registered in msdb. The Veeam job is supposed to run every day, but gets delayed because of one big (sharepoint) server.

I have already asked the IT department if there was something missing from my permissions, but could there be another explanations for what I see?

Kind regards,

Michèle
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: multiple snapshot backups detected on sql, but only 1 restore point

Post by foggy »

Hi Michèle, any chance those 'multiple instances of backups per day' are related to transaction logs backup?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The behavior is expected even without transaction log backup enabled as a corresponding entry in msdb is created for each database on server during every run of backup job with AAIP regardless of backup type whether it is log or image-level backup, however restore points which exist in Veeam B&R are per server and not per database.

Thanks!
mtahay
Novice

Post by mtahay »

Hello,

Thanks for your responses.

The backups I am seeing in msdb are definitely not log backups, they are of type 'D' (which means full backup).

But... the server in question I have trouble wrapping my head around is actually not present in the veeam job where I expected it to be.
In fact, I don't see it in any job. So I suppose I do not see every existing job, or that there are multiple veeam servers manageing the backups.

Kind regards,

Michèle
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

You could check if you have corresponding logs on your SQL server under Programdata\Veeam. If there are no entries at the time you see the backups being created then chances are high that it's not Veeam creating the backups.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Yes, my vote also goes for some 3rd-party solution creating backups there. Note that backing up t-logs using two or more solutions is definitely not recommended and may cause potential t-log data losses and recovery issues. To avoid such situations you may consider using a single unified approach to SQL backups, for example, back them up using VBR only, or configure VBR to just copy the logs and let the logs backups be managed natively by SQL server or a 3rd-party solution.
mtahay
Novice

Post by mtahay »

Yep, I totally aggree with the fact that your backups should only be done by one solution (whatever it may be).
My first job here was to list all things that were doing backups and then decide on a unified approach.

I did not know the existance of the folders in ProgramData, it gave me more info in that I see that there was an update of the veeam software at the beginning of may. That corresponds to the start of the weird backup history data. No other entries/files though.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Michael,

Our technical support team could help you to dig deeper into that situation, so you may raise a case to get it clarified.

Thanks
mtahay
Novice

Post by mtahay » 2 people like this post

Hello,

I have looked into it again with a new IT collegue with more experience with veeam and netapp, and what we see is actually netapp actions.

Thanks for all your help!

Kind regards,

Michèle