Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dgaccu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Danny Williams

Need recommendations for backup to NAS/RDX

Post by dgaccu »

I am needing to implement a new backup solution that creates a copy of our backups to removable RDX drives. Our Veeam 8 server resides in a different physical building (via private gigabit fiber) than where the RDX drive needs to reside. I saw Tandberg has a RDX Quickstor device that has six or eight drives, but I don't need anything that big. Any suggestions? I couldn't find a single standalone iSCSI standalone drive. I wouldn't be against getting a NAS and plugging the RDX drive into it either.

Thanks!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Need recommendations for backup to NAS/RDX

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Danny,
not sure I'm understading what you need, but if you are talking about having a primary repository for Veeam backups and using then RDX as a secondary target, than you can look at many NAS options in the market. The two recommendations I can give you:
- check the size of your backups and based on the needed retention, configure the NAS in size accordingly
- give it some decent performance specs in terms of CPU and disk controller cache, so you can run backup transforms, surebackups and instant vm recoveries

For the design part, I would configure a backup copy job then from this one to the RDX, I think it's way better than a raw file copy from NAS to RDX. If the interconnection is 1GB, there's no need in my opinion for special configurations, it's not a WAN scenario.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
dgaccu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Danny Williams

Post by dgaccu »

Yes, or Veeam server will be the primary backup repository. I also want to make a backup copy that ultimately makes it to an RDX drive or some other non-tape removable media. Maybe even a standard USB drive. The issue I am facing is that the removable drive will need to be in a different physical building than the Veeam server, so unfortunately this isn't as simple as just plugging in a USB drive directly into the Veeam server. The two buildings have a private gigabit fiber between them and are on the same LAN, however. If at all possible I would like to not have to use a NAS because it isn't a required part of our solution and I would rather not add the cost. I'm essentially looking for an easy way to make a backup copy job on our Veeam server to some type of removable media on the same LAN but in a different physical location.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I think you can deploy a windows server in the secondary location, configure it as a repository in Veeam, and connect the RDX to it. Then, you configure a backup copy job towards that second repository, and you will enable the rotated drive support in v8 to properly manage RDX rotation.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1