Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Network bottleneck, in FC SAN mode

Post by ferrus »

I'm checking the bottleneck figures on our new Veeam 8 installation.
We have three B&R proxy servers, with local Tier 1 storage. They are all FC connected to the SAN.
All backups operate successfully in Direct SAN mode.

The bottleneck figures for many of the jobs are showing high Network percent figures (40-80%, sometimes higher).
I've confirmed that the proxy and repository are both set to the same server, on the worst affected jobs.

Searching around the forums, I found this subject a few times - leading up to an experimental registry key, being added to 8.0 patch 1:
Performance enhancements

Added experimental support for direct data movers communication when both are running on the same server (for example, when backing up to a local storage on backup proxy server). If your local backup jobs report Network as the bottleneck, and you see high load on some backup proxy server NICs when the data was supposed to stay local to the server, your jobs performance is likely to benefit from this behavior modifier. To enable alternative data exchange path, create the DataMoverLocalFastPath (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication, and set it to the following values:

0: Default behavior (no optimizations)
1: Data exchange through TCP socket on the loopback interface (faster)
2: Data exchange through shared memory (fastest)
We're on the latest v8 patch. Does anyone know the status of this fix?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6716 times

Re: Network bottleneck, in FC SAN mode

Post by Gostev »

Starting v8 Update 2, shared memory is the default behavior.