Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mvalpreda
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mark Valpreda

New replication job - Resource not ready: backup proxy - no other jobs running

Post by mvalpreda »

Case 07067449

Set up a brand new replication job between 2x 2022 Hyper-V servers and it has been sitting on 'Resource not ready: backup proxy' for 20 minutes now. There are no other jobs running. Trying to understand what is going on. The
Other backup jobs are running fine.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: New replication job - Resource not ready: backup proxy - no other jobs running

Post by Mildur »

Hi Mark

Thanks for the case number.
I suggest to keep working with your support engineer on this issue.
Let's see what our customer support team can find out from the logs.

You may also check out the task settings on the proxy server. Especially if you run your replica jobs while backup jobs are running.
Are there enough tasks configured to run all jobs in parallel?
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... up-proxies

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mvalpreda
Enthusiast

Re: New replication job - Resource not ready: backup proxy - no other jobs running

Post by mvalpreda »

This is a Hyper-V job, so I don't have any choice besides on and off host proxy. I have tried both. I upped the number of concurrent tasks from 4 to 8 - even though there are no tasks running anywhere. Same result with firewall on or off.
This is the first replication job I have run since upgrading to 12.1. The source server has backup jobs running fine. The destination server is a brand new 2022 install - only the Hyper-V role installed.
Both source and destination servers have been rebooted since the job was set up.

I did notice the destination server shows under Unavailable in Backup Infrastructure - Managed Servers - Microsoft Hyper-V.
If I right click on it, properties, it is removed from Unavailable, but shows up a little while later.

How can I see what Veeam thinks is using the backup proxy?
mvalpreda
Enthusiast

Post by mvalpreda »

From the main job status page:

Code: Select all

12/30/2023 7:36:38 AM :: Job started at 12/30/2023 7:36:36 AM  
12/30/2023 7:36:39 AM :: Building list of machines to process  
12/30/2023 7:36:44 AM :: VM size: 8.9 TB (4.6 TB used)  
12/30/2023 7:36:45 AM :: Changed block tracking is enabled  
12/30/2023 7:36:45 AM :: Waiting for backup infrastructure resources availability  
One of the VMs in the job:

Code: Select all

12/30/2023 7:36:45 AM :: Queued for processing at 12/30/2023 7:36:45 AM  
12/30/2023 7:36:45 AM :: Resource not ready: backup proxy  
I have both on-host and Hyper-V proxies set up, some with 128 max concurrent tasks (96 cores). Would think that is enough considering there is nothing else running and not trying to run a backup and replication at the same time.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Mark

Happy new year.
This is a Hyper-V job, so I don't have any choice besides on and off host proxy.
Correct. I shared this feedback about the wrong screenshot last week with our support team.

96 Cores is more than enough to run 128 tasks.
I did notice the destination server shows under Unavailable in Backup Infrastructure - Managed Servers - Microsoft Hyper-V.
If I right click on it, properties, it is removed from Unavailable, but shows up a little while later.
That shouldn't happen and must be investigated within your case.
How can I see what Veeam thinks is using the backup proxy?
We don't have such overview in the UI. I assume it must be somewhere in the log files and our support team will find it out.

The last case comment was to add more resources to the management server. I'm looking forward to the test results.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software