New to VEEAM. Need help on Retention Policy 18-24 month

Post by jaelee0618 »

Hi
I am new to VEEAM.
My setup is:
Nutanix 4 node with ESXi 6
DataDomain 6800 around 68TB
10GB connections

I have around 3-4TB of data. Around 200-300GB of data keep updating almost everyday on weekday.
I am lost on setting up retention policy(restore point). Customer wants the data for 18month-24month.

However, I was told not to set the "Retention policy - Restore points to keep on disk" to below 60.
If that's not the issue, I could do 104(52 weeks 2years)restore point for weekly full but I can't do greater than 60.

So I set the Backup job with 60 Restore points with Synthetic(Friday) and Active Full backup(First Friday). <-- I also was told to set the same day
Run the job Daily on weekday for incremental.

So far with that Backup job setting. I will always have 60 restore points including 2-3 Full backup.

Now I am middle of creating Backup Copy. AND I am lost.

If It's possible, I want to keep weekly incremental for 2 month and keep 18-24 monthly full.

Or should I just create another backup job and just do Monthly Full backup with 24 retention -restore point?
Which is optimal way?

Thanks,
Jae
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: New to VEEAM. Need help on Retention Policy 18-24 month

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Let's start with some details:
Customer wants the data for 18month-24month.
Does he want to be able to rollback to any day up to 24-month ago, or it's OK if he can rollback to the beginning of any week, for example?
I was told not to set the "Retention policy - Restore points to keep on disk" to below 60
That will ensure that last 60 points will be available on your primary repository.
I will always have 60 restore points including 2-3 Full backup.
I'd rather say 2 Active Fulls + 5-6 Synthetic fulls.

If I got the idea right, you should try Backup Copy Job with GFS retention schema. Backup job will keep hold of 60 daily point, Backup Copy job will take care of weekly and monthly fulls.

Thanks
jaelee0618
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaehoon Lee

Re: New to VEEAM. Need help on Retention Policy 18-24 month

Post by jaelee0618 »

PTide,

Thanks for the reply.

We used to have tape backup. Incremental Everyday with Full monthly/Bi-monthly.
I guess it would be great to rollback to beginning of week.