Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jcwuerfl
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: James

New v6 Install - db issue

Post by jcwuerfl »

So just wanted to report back that I ran into an issue with v6 doing a new install. When I tried to pre-create the database via the sql express management studio it didn't work as it seemed to always try and run the Upgrade Script?? Vs. when I let it actually create the mssql database then it worked correctly. Not sure but you may want to add some additional logic to determine if its just a blank ms sql database and run the create scripts vs. upgrade scripts.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: New v6 Install - db issue

Post by Vitaliy S. »

James, thanks for reporting back, but as far as I remember there are two scripts one is for db upgrade and the second one is for db creation. Are you sure that you didn't pick the wrong one?
jcwuerfl
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: James

Post by jcwuerfl »

I didn't run any script via the sql management studio. You can duplicate this pretty easy.

1) Setup a new VM
2) Install SQL Server express 2005 or 2008
3) Create a database called VeeamBackup. W/o running any of the sql scripts that get installed. Just a blank database.
4) Now run the Veeam installer and pick that VeaamBackup database. You will notice you get an error and that its running the Upgrade script.

If you don't do #3 and let the installer create the database it works fine and actually creates the database and tables. However if you do create the database then it tries to upgrade the database and at some point says that you don't have permissions to modify a db.table of some sort which is not actually there.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Oh... I see your point now. I guess when you run the setup over existing database, the setup wizard tries to update it to the latest version by default, so the only way to use pre-create Veeam B&R database is to use the script I have mentioned above. Thanks for heads up anyway!