Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jimmy.cooleman
Lurker
Liked: never

NFS destination

Post by jimmy.cooleman »

Dear all,
I'm a new Veeam customer, and i'd like to backup some VM's to a NFS share, but this doesn't seem to work.
It's probably something very simple.

When i create a backup job, i can only select 'this computer or shared folder' as destination ?
The NFS share is added to my ESXi 4.0 servers, VC server is added to Veeam.

I've read that NFS should be mounted on ESX server, but does this work on a ESXi server ?
( we're using Esx 4i licensed )
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: NFS destination

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jimmy,

Only replication jobs can point to ESXi hosts (not backup jobs). Take a look at this topic for more details: ESX(i) host not listed in destination for backup
As regards NFS destination, then you should either mount NFS datastore to Linux box or ESX host to make it visible for the backup console.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: NFS destination

Post by Gostev »

Just to elaborate this a bit further, you can add the Linux box with NFS share mounted to Veeam Backup by clicking Add Server. Then, you will be able to select it as destination for backup job.

Alternatively, you can make a ESXi datastore out of this NFS share, create VMDK on this datastore, attach this VMDK to a virtual Veeam Backup server, and use that as destination. However, the max size of VMDK will be limited to 2TB, which may not be sufficient to host all backups depending on the size of your environment.

Thanks!