Post by foggy » May 25, 2018 10:31 am

Yes, but no particular ETA.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1447 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: No Catalyst Copy support?

Post by foggy » May 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Well, there are actually two options in your scenario. One of them is using SOBR, i.e. add both stores as extents and use evacuation to migrate from one to another. This will, however, perform rehydration, since data will be copied outside of the storage. Another option is to ask your HPE support engineer to escalate the case up to T4 and request assistance with performing migration with the help of Catalyst Copy command line tool that they have to address cases like that.

KevinW
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Kevin Wilcox

Post by KevinW » May 29, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks for the help foggy, I've currently got a support ticket open with HP though they are dragging their heels a bit. I suspect my support agreement doesn't cover it an I'll end up forking out for a HP consultant. :cry:

nroetert
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Niels Roetert

Post by nroetert » Jun 12, 2018 10:48 am

foggy wrote:Yes, but no particular ETA.
So I have several prospects using Veeam and HPE StoreOnce looking to use on-prem S3 object storage for long term retention.
I guess Veeam supporting Catalyst Copy is required for HPE Cloud Bank to work with Veeam.

No particular ETA could mean in the next update or in five years, is somebody willing/able to be more specific?
I think not having this feature is going to hurt Veeam in larger environments.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3127 times

Post by Gostev » Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am 1 person likes this post

Catalyst Copy support is on the short term roadmap.

However, Cloud Bank support is a totally different story - Catalyst Copy support does not automatically mean Cloud Bank support.

But, the good news is that Veeam will have native on-prem S3 object storage support for long term retention before everything above (this year).

rdrost
Influencer
Full Name: rdrost

Post by rdrost » Jun 13, 2018 7:15 am

We are using Veeam and HPE Storeonce .
Does Catalyst Copy support mean that Veeam will support Storeonce Catalyst replication on a short term ? When ?
And HPE Cloudbank ?
(And I mentioned it before in another post but using SOBR for migrating data to another Storeonce is not very flexible.)
Good to hear that S3 object storage support for log term retention comes available this year. But our data on the StoreOnce is deduped so one needs some S3 deduped solution which HPE Cloudback could provide . There are maybe other solutions as well.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Jun 13, 2018 10:29 am

We cannot comment on dates until the functionality is implemented to beta quality, as running into a technical showstopper or priority changes is always possible. At this time, Catalyst Copy support is on the short-term roadmap, and Cloudbank support is not.

Our object storage support also effectively uses dedupe, with the concept best explained "ReFS in the cloud" (if you know how our advanced ReFS integration works).

ohuetz
Influencer

Post by ohuetz » Jun 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Hi,

I found this thread on my search for the question "what about StoreOnce as a primary backup repository and source for Veeam Copy Jobs to other repositories (local or cloud)?"
Are there any (serious) performance impacts if the backup is sent to the StoreOnce first and in a second step copy it via Veeam Copy Job to other repositories? Or do you prefer non-dedup storage for primary repository?

Best Regards
Oliver

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Jun 13, 2018 1:59 pm

ohuetz wrote:Or do you prefer non-dedup storage for primary repository?
Yes, this is the recommended architecture. And it does not have to be large - just enough to keep a few restore points, as this will be enough to cover vast majority of your day to day restores.

ohuetz
Influencer

Post by ohuetz » Jun 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Thanks Gostev

rdrost
Influencer

Post by rdrost » Jun 18, 2018 9:59 am

Hello Gostev,

Good to hear that Veeam's Object Storage (S3) will support " deduplication" based on ReFS. Does this mean in general or only those S3 storage providers who use ReFS as a filesystem. I also wonder is ReFS is comparable to Windows 2016 dedup when you use it for weekly,monthly and yearly archiving.

rdrost
Influencer

Post by rdrost » Jul 04, 2018 9:06 am

Hello Gostev,
Could you elaborate on "Our object storage support also effectively uses dedupe, with the concept best explained "ReFS in the cloud" (if you know how our advanced ReFS integration works)."
I know about advanced ReFS integration. This requires at least formatting with ReFS.
Does the same apply to any future S3 object storage in the cloud or on premis ?
Regards,

Roelof

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Jul 04, 2018 9:24 am

It's like our ReFS integration conceptually, but it has nothing to deal with the actual ReFS file system. So it doesn't matter what S3-compatible object storage you're using. Thanks!

rdrost
Influencer

Post by rdrost » Jul 04, 2018 10:17 am

Thanks for your quick reply.
So Veeam's upcoming S3 object storage support wil be able to "sort of dedup" synthetic weekly, monthly, yearly full backups which are archived to the S3 object Storage within one Copy Job. For instance to Cloudian S3.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Jul 04, 2018 3:11 pm

That is correct. But we've completely derailed this thread now :D