Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
samuk
Expert
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam

No End points - Backup Failed.

Post by samuk »

Hi,

I have searched but not found anything...

Backup failed of a VM with the following error:

Code: Select all

Creating snapshot RPC function call failed. Function name: [Unfreeze]. Target machine: [10.216.4.10]. RPC error:There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. Code: 1753 
Any thoughts?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: No End points - Backup Failed.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sam,

It seems like RPC is not functioning properly on the guest VM you want to backup, try to look through this Microsoft's KB article for further troubleshooting steps, should help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839880

Thanks!
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Post by ian0x0r » 2 people like this post

I know this is an old post, but I found a fix to this error as I had the same issue. Ensure the VeeamVssSupport service is not running before running the job on the target system.

Did the trick for me.
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
awhiting
Lurker
Full Name: Adam Whiting

Post by awhiting »

Thanks Ian.
Your post fixed the error in my environment. I am running version 6.0.0.181
SHSDavid
Novice

Post by SHSDavid »

ian0x0r wrote:I know this is an old post, but I found a fix to this error as I had the same issue. Ensure the VeeamVssSupport service is not running before running the job on the target system.

Did the trick for me.

Thank you Ian. You post also saved me a bunch of time!
Naumishe
Novice
Full Name: Kirill

Post by Naumishe »

Thanks a lot. It`s really help me.
So, what "Startup Type" must I choose for service VeeamVssSupport? Manual? And why it was Automatic by default?
Naumishe
Novice
Full Name: Kirill

Post by Naumishe »

Wow... This service is disappear after completing job. Is it right?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct and you do not need to change anything for this service.

During "application aware" VM backup we push a small runtime coordination process that requests Microsoft VSS framework to prepare system for hot backup, after that this coordination process is automatically removed.
eiskra
Enthusiast
Full Name: Edward Iskra

Post by eiskra »

This just fixed a backup that was failing for me, as well - despite rebooting the host and other troubleshooting.

Looks like Veeam failed to kill the helper process on some prior backup, and no further attempts would proceed until I manually stopped the helper process.
gogotop
Lurker
Full Name: George Rusak

Post by gogotop »

I find that the comments about agent free backup get really annoying when things like "..we push a small runtime coordination process.." come up and cause errors. Wouldn't it be easier in the long run (it would for me), to just offer up a client that can be installed, that is not "hidden", that doesn't require all this behind the scenes magic and just works. I've been a short time Veeam user and this is the number one issue we've faced in the environment. Just call the client a client, get the system admins to install it and be done with it. I'd be way happier than wasting time chasing down these mysterious errors and hidden processes.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Well, this would not solve the issue described in this thread, however "in the long run" it would cause much pains known as agent management hell... "install it and be done with it" is nothing but wishful thinking ;)

Our current approach is much more reliable and usable, trust me on that one (in my previous software company, it was all about persistent agents - so I've had a chance to see how this is working for tens of thousands of customers).

Now, if there is something special about certain environments that make our in-guest process "hang" and not exit properly under certain circumstances, we would definitely like to investigate and address this (logs from guest VM will be requiring). Making it a persistent agent is not a solution, because persistent agents "hang" just as well as non-persistent ones :wink:
digitalrobot
Lurker
Full Name: Roy Hutton

Post by digitalrobot »

Hi Guys,
VeeamVssSupport
There is no service or process of this name on the file server which i'm backing up - Veeam 9.5.

Can anyone provide any clues on this?

I've just got Veeam Installer and Data Mover Services amd VSS, VMICVSS,SyncoveryVSSService and DDPVSSSVC

Thanks in advance
ToddM
Lurker
Full Name: Todd Webster

Post by ToddM »

I just had this issue as well on Veeam Backup 9.5. Veeam Support was unable to help, but they did point me in the right direction. They asked if I had recently expanded the virtual disk, which I had. Unfortunately, their solution didn't work.
I kept at it though and realized that I had expanded the virtual disk (and the volume of the OS) to the maximum for the cluster size of 4096kb, which is 16TB. I shrunk the volume to just under that limit (about 15.8TB) and also shrunk the size of the virtual disk to the same. I was then able to run Veeam Backup. Not sure if it was Veeam Backup or Windows that didn't like that scenario, but regardless, my backup is running again.

Not sure if this is your situation, but I hope it helps.