Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
INEOS_
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Philipp

No notification about SQL t-log backup job failure

Post by INEOS_ »

Hi all,

I now have a problem, that Veeam does not notify if the SQL Database backup was not successful.
In the overview of the Job (Backup VMware machines) I just see a green tick/hook. No error in the overview.
When I open the details, I can see that the SQL Backup was unsuccesful due to insufficient permission

Code: Select all

16.03.2021 20:12:46 :: Transaction logs backup will not be possible due to insufficient permissions to update backupset for SQL instance : Code = 0x80040e09
Code meaning = IDispatch error #3081
Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Description = The UPDATE permission was denied on the object 'backupset', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.
The veeam support linked me to this discussion.

Veeam version 10.0.1.4854
Case #04705250

regards
Philipp
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: No notification about SQL t-log backup job failure

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Philipp,

I have moved your post from the thread where you originally posted it because it is not related to that issue.

Am I getting it right that you would like the "parent" VM backup job to fail if the "child" SQL t-log backup job fails for whatever reason?

Did the SQL t-log backup job session itself fail in your case? You can see this in the "Last 24 hours" section and corresponding reports.

Thanks
INEOS_
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Philipp

Post by INEOS_ »

Hi Fedor,

thanks for that!

Exactly. And if I don't want that I get an error, I could "disable application processing" for this virtual machine. Otherwise I don't get the information when an SQL backup fails due to a permission failure.
But it makes no sense to show everything as successful although there is an error.
Do you have access to case #04705250? There are screenshots which will make it a bit more clear.

I cannot see this in the "last 24 hours" section, because we fixed the sql permission. So the "error" is gone for now.

Thanks
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Philipp,

Thanks for clarifying.

Actually, disabling AAIP is not really a solution because without activated AAIP there is no guarantee you will get an application-consistent backup. On the other hand, when AAIP has failed due to lack of permissions on the database level while having required access to the guest OS, you still get an application-consistent backup of the SQL server instance (thanks to VSS), backup of the underlying OS, VM, and so on, which indicates that you can restore from it to make your application operating as usual in the case when a disaster strikes - you may confirm that using SureBackup. Yes, you will not be able to granularly restore the DB to the desired point in time and cannot be sure the desired RPO is met (some transactions may be missing for the time period between parent backup job runs), but it's at least something. This is one of the reasons why by default the parent backup job does not produce an error/warning if there is "database permissions issue" affecting the log backup job itself. However, you may find most of the log backup job issues in the "Last 24 hours" section. A few years ago we were spamming warnings within parent backup jobs in such situations and that was causing lots of frustration to the end-users. As a result, this behavior has been changed, based on the feedback and suggestions which you can find on these forums.

Regarding notifications and how to stay updated on such issues, the most basic option is to enable email notifications for the parent backup job - this will also enable email reports containing information on log backup jobs. If the logs of a certain DB have not been backed up you'll be aware of it.

If you are looking for somewhat offering more details, take a look at Veeam ONE capabilities that provide actionable alerting (Database log backup job state alarm), monitoring, and granular reporting (includes backup state of individual databases) for log backup jobs helping to make sure your mission-critical databases are timely protected.

I hope it helps. Thanks.