Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zed999
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Zaher Butt

NTFS ACCESS DENIED

Post by zed999 »

Hi Guys,

some of our folders on the filesservers we backup do no always have any NTFS permissions for Adminstrators group. As a result when you try to restore (indvidual guest files option) you are greeted with a Access denied message.

How do you get around this?

I noticed Restore File Browser window also mounts the logical backed up volumes on the Veeam server, is making a change directly from the mounted drive like taking ownership&resetting ntfs permissions of a folder NOT advisable? i am worried it may corruption problems in the vbk/vrb?

If this is not recommended wondering if anyone else has encountered this

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: NTFS ACCESS DENIED

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Zaher,

Actually, the Backup Browser takes into account the ACL (Access Control List) on the guest operating system. So could you tell me if you are able to get the access to those files on the original server with the user that you're currently logged in to the backup sever? Can you please re-check those permissions on the folder (files) you're trying to restore.

Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

If you do not have NTFS permissions for Adminstrators group on some files, that means administrators should not be able to access them - whether on original VM, or from backup. Otherwise, why would you put such permissions on the file in the first place? So this makes sense.

VBK/VRB are read-only, so it is impossible to corrupt them.

There are a few possible workarounds:
1. Give the account you are using for restores "Backup Operator" privilege in Windows OS settings. This should allow to restore the files regardless of the underlying permissions.
2. Use Multi-OS File Level Restore wizard (it simply ignores NTFS permissions).
zed999
Influencer

Post by zed999 »

Hello Vitaliy

Logged on to the guest server I cannot access the folder I want to restore as Administrators do not have any NTFS rights on it. This appears to be why Veeam Backup Console is unable to restore based on my findings.

1. To clarify, when you say when restoring ACLs are ignored I am not sure this is quite accurate; yes restored files & folders inherit permisisons of the target folder by default however from what I can see, a Read ACL is required for the console to able to "copy" the files?

2. Drilling down to the folder in question using the "mounted drives" on Veeam Backup server, I cannot copy from this level either. Looking at few folders it appears all ACLS are all intact.

The only way I can see to restore the Access Denied files and folders is to take ownership from the Mounted drives but I do not know if this is recommended?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Existing discussion on the same subject here:
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 8637#p8626
zed999
Influencer

Post by zed999 »

thanks Gostev,

I will try the work arounds later today...

also I am sure I have been able to take ownership of files/folders I did not have access to do a restore/copy from the "mounted drives" so the VRB/VBK's do appear to take these changes - wether or not they save this change is another thing...