Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kestis
Novice
Liked: never

Numerous "DataTransfer" errors in backups

Post by kestis »

VMware environment. Production backup jobs are split up by criticality of servers - all servers hosted in the same HA cluster with storage on the same storage arrays. VBR server and all proxies are physical. Priority 1 VM job and physical server job backing up fine, all other production VM jobs are failing. VM jobs are set up with their own SOBR targeting extents on the same ReFS volumes.

I contacted Veeam support and their response was to run an active full against the VMs that are failing - which seems to be the go-to response for all my recent tickets with them. I decided to go one better carved out some new ReFS storage for some new extents, a new SOBR, and a new backup job for these VMs. I'm running into the same issues.

Again, VMs live on the same hosts, in the same storage arrays, and are being backed up with the same job configurations on the same VBR server using the same proxies. Given this information, I'm inclined to believe it's not a network problem.

Some of my errors:

Code: Select all

Error: Failed to deserialize area object because its type is unknown: [1073741824].
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [1].
Failed to download disk '<VMName>-flat.vmdk'.
Reconnectable protocol device was closed.
Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [vmfssan>];
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Error: Failed to process {Invoke} command
Details:
Agent: Failed to parse VCP command arguments: Attribute 'value' is not found
Failed to read VCP command from the stream
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.BackupText}.

Error: Invalid packet size. Payload size: [1544880264]. Allocation size: [1048832]
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [0].
Failed to download disk '<VMName>-flat.vmdk'.
Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [vmfssan>];
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Error: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
Failed to open storage for read/write access. Storage: [<Extent>\<Job>\<VMName>.vm-09?�?-?ڐ?2].
Failed to backup text locally. Backup: [VBK: 'veeam:0:35e09ba0-4ac4-89d0 (ID)\summary.xml@Extent[b24c7ce744a1-acb5a4c1]<Extent>\<Job>\<VMName>.vm-09?�?-?ڐ?2'].
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.BackupText}.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Numerous "DataTransfer" errors in backups

Post by foggy »

Please share the support case ID. What you've shared doesn't look expected and should be investigated closer - I'd recommend escalating the case for further analysis.
kestis
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Numerous "DataTransfer" errors in backups

Post by kestis »

Case #04984084