Nutanix AHV

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Nutanix AHV

Veeam Logoby jason.millan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:22 am

+1 for AHV just think the money customers are saving on Vmware they can use to buy another backup solution. Hurry up Veeam!
jason.millan
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Millan

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:40 am

Not to start a holy war, but for now I think these customers will need these money elsewhere ;) it's hard to argue that KVM does need some catching up with VMware in terms of functionality, and lack of features directly impacts TCO (at least if we're talking about the enterprise segment that Nutanix aims).

That said, I do see a potential for Nutanix to become the next VMware, at least if a few things happen and a few stars align. May be the chance is not that high in absolute numbers, but probably the highest among everyone else.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2315 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby nmdange » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:17 pm 2 people like this post

Honest question, if you are using Nutanix AHV because it's cheaper than VMWare, have you looked at Hyper-V instead given that it has a free edition that has all the features of the paid-for version. And Hyper-V is supported by Veeam :)
nmdange
Expert

Liked: 48 times

Veeam Logoby mrecob » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:36 pm

I am a new Nutanix with AHV owner. Would love it if VEEAM added AHV to the list of supported hypervisors.
mrecob
Novice

Full Name: Mark Recob

Veeam Logoby msundling » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:31 am

Same for me as all others on this thread. Currently VMware shop but just bought a new block which will run AHV. Long term we will migrate everything to AHV.
Will evaluate backup solutions shortly and it would be great if we could keep Veeam as we are happy with your product.
msundling
Lurker

Full Name: Mattias Sundling

Veeam Logoby tfindelkind » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:48 am

Hi, I do have dozens of customers who are waiting right now that VEEAM supports AHV. With Asterix there is a backup API which can be used. It follow the design principles of Change block tracking.

Best regards,
Thomas
tfindelkind
Lurker

Full Name: Thomas Findelkind

Veeam Logoby tsun8824 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:23 am

+1 for AHV Support.

Currently we sell vmware/veeam solutions but are evaluating alternatives in the storage/hypervisor area. We have had an excellent experience with veeam and want to stick with it when going Nutanix AHV. Most of our new customers typically order 3 servers. We sell about 3-5 new solutions each year in the small and medium-sized business segment. For us AHV provides all the features our customers need.
tsun8824
Novice

Veeam Logoby Jeff L » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:02 pm

Just adding another Voice to "please support AHV" crowd.

I *really* don't want to swap veeam out for comvault! (which is what management are thinking)
Jeff L
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Jeff Longley

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:07 pm 1 person likes this post

Raising some of the points addressed earlier in this thread... presumably you went with AHV rather than VMware or Hyper-V to cut down on costs? Wouldn't switching from Veeam to Commvault offset those savings? So would it make more sense to go with one of the other hypervisors instead for your Nutanix solution?

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Veeam Logoby pupo888 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:21 pm

+1 on AHV support. In regards to the comment about switching hypervisor to save cost we are moving to Nutanix for the cloud like functionality that it will bring to our business. Being able to stop paying for vSphere is desired as AHV has the features that we need. In regards to backups we have been using Veeam to backup 40 esxi hosts for the past 4 years but are gradually switching to AHV on our new clusters starting in January. Management is open to considering other backup software (probably Commvault as they're offering to give us a credit as a buy back for Veeam, though we also have NetBackup for physical servers) but I would much rather stick with Veeam. My understanding is that the new version of AHV now has a CBT API as well.
pupo888
Lurker

Full Name: Pupo Pescatore

Veeam Logoby NightBird » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:24 am 1 person likes this post

For small shop VMware Essential Plus is so expensive ???
NightBird
Service Provider

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:43 pm 3 people like this post

@Pupo I find it curios that availability is almost an after-thought for your management. Sounds like their attitude here is "we're going with this new platform, and will figure out how we're going to protect it later". For me, it would be one of the first thing to consider. Perhaps they are assuming that the unique combination of Veeam's feature set, ease of use, reliability and price is going to be easy to find elsewhere? Big mistake - Veeam would not be as successful if it was so...

Hypervisor cost savings are nice of course, but the very first downtime that you won't be able to recover from in a timely manner will eat through those savings in a few hours.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2315 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby pupo888 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:46 am

Hi Gostev,

Not so much an after-thought but rather that they feel that if the current solution does not support it others do. They do not see things the same way as I do in that they have no preference whatsoever. It's purely a utilitarian decision. The built-in replication and secondary cloud-based backups would also work but I would like to see an indexed backup solution. Realistically I could use network based backups but I would rather not. An integrated solution would be preferable, and a CBT-based solution would be even better.
pupo888
Lurker

Full Name: Pupo Pescatore

Veeam Logoby darryl.crossley » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:47 am 1 person likes this post

+1 for Nutanix AHV and Veeam.
I've been championing Nutanix + Veeam for a LONG time now. As a Veeam and Nutanix channel partner here in ANZ, this makes so much sense. 90% of our Nutanix customers use this combination today, the same questions arise time and time again around backups - CommVault adds complexity, this reduces the simplicity messaging instantaneously. Veeam is the obvious choice.

Just starting with backup from Nutanix snapshot would be a great start, then look at AHV.

It makes sense for Rubrik to integrate with AHV, I hope Veeam can do the same.
darryl.crossley
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Darryl Crossley

Veeam Logoby AlexSV » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:12 am

+1 for AHV support. We use veeam to protect our small (3 hosts) shop, but for now, when our new Nutanix cluster arrived, we are looking to CommVault or other solutions that supports AHV. Veeam is the best backup solution in the market, and I hope for AHV support in future releases.
AlexSV
Lurker

Full Name: Alex

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication