Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dbr
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Open session report takes a long time

Post by dbr »

Hi,

we recently upgraded from 9.0 U2 to 9.5 U1. Open a report takes a relative long time even if session history retention is configured to 1 week (lowest possible value). I forced history cleanup by excuting stored procedure described in https://www.veeam.com/kb1995. Creating the report still takes about 10 seconds for a job that ran once a day (4 week retention = ca. 50 seconds / 12 week retention = ca. 90 seconds and more). Support told me it's normal that it takes that time (Case # 02130960) but it is not acceptable for me cause sometime I need a report that displays a longer time span than only one week. SQL server should have enough ressources to serve such a request (also tried with 4 vCPU and 24GB of RAM, no change). I guess the main bottleneck is the table Backup.Model.BackupTaskSessions. Do I have to live with it or is there any chance to speed up report creation?

Additionaly I noticed following:
- Browsing in Backups -> Disks is sometimes unresponsive. In 9.0 U1 I had no issues browsing our backups.
- Searching for a VM within an add dialog in Application Group takes a long time. In 9.0 U1 I had to wait severals seconds selecting a backed up vm in general. Anyway, both situation are no good.

Daniel
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Open session report takes a long time

Post by veremin »

What edition does a SQL server have? It might be worth escalating a ticket or asking support team to run the very same query (as GUI session report does) to check whether underperforming SQL server is the root cause here. Thanks.
dbr
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Post by dbr »

Hi Vladimir,

SQL server is a separate Microsoft SQL Server 2016 RTM Standard Edition on Windows Server 2012 R2. 2 vCPUs with 8GB of ram. While I ran the report the server wasn't really busy. Tried those reports in virtual lab with more cpu and ram but no change.

Daniel
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6711 times

Post by Gostev »

Could be that the query is not optimal. Please ask your support engineer to escalate the issue to R&D, we have the dedicated SQL guru for these sort of issues - it would be good for him to review and comment if this is "normal". Thanks!