Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JPaul_110110
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Paul

Oracle on Linux questions

Post by JPaul_110110 »

I am a recent new veeam customer and have been migrating our backups over to veeam. One of the last ones is an oracle database server running on linux. The folks who manage the database are already backing up the database and recovery logs using another method and want to continue to do so as they use the nightly backups for replication over to development machines for testing. For right now, the path we are going down is using veeam to backup the server with the understanding we are not getting a 'clean' db backup and in a recovery situation we would need to restore the db separately. Not being a db guy, does this sound like it would work ? I just want to make sure there is no issue of veeam taking a snapshot with the db running -based on some reading it sounds like 'vm stun' might be a problem depending on how large the snapshot got while things are being backed up (other than not getting a clean db backup) ?
IHeartCats
Influencer
Full Name: Helen

Re: Oracle on Linux questions

Post by IHeartCats »

This is what we are doing at the moment for some of our databases both Oracle and MSSQL.
Basically we are backing up the machine and the DBA's are responsible for getting the DB to create it's own recovery points on the disk of the VM as they require. If we needed to restore from backup all they would get back from us is a copy of the VM and it's contents. If the DB was screwed it would have to be restored from whatever they have outputted to flat file on disk.

It's one way to do it but Veeam does support Application Aware Oracle Backups, including archive logs processing etc on Linux (You would have to check out the version support)
I'm just playing with Oracle App Aware backups on Linux at the moment. It's a bit fiddly to get right and we did hit some bugs, but they are gone with 9.5u2 and I have a proof of concept for a working backup and restore of a DB on a test server.

Perhaps something to look into :)
rasingh
Lurker

Post by rasingh »

i am going through same situation. waiting for DBA to help with s pre-freeze-script and post-thaw-script.
if anybody have script and can share it will helpfull.
rasingh
Lurker

Post by rasingh »

Oracle database running on Linux OS
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

JPaul_110110 wrote:I am a recent new veeam customer and have been migrating our backups over to veeam. One of the last ones is an oracle database server running on linux. The folks who manage the database are already backing up the database and recovery logs using another method and want to continue to do so as they use the nightly backups for replication over to development machines for testing. For right now, the path we are going down is using veeam to backup the server with the understanding we are not getting a 'clean' db backup and in a recovery situation we would need to restore the db separately. Not being a db guy, does this sound like it would work ? I just want to make sure there is no issue of veeam taking a snapshot with the db running -based on some reading it sounds like 'vm stun' might be a problem depending on how large the snapshot got while things are being backed up (other than not getting a clean db backup) ?
I know this is an old post, but to answer, yes you can do this. There are several options. One is to take a completely crash-consistent backup of the server by not enabling AAIP at all. Even in that case you may be able to use Veeam to restore everything since transaction/archive logs are designed to recover data in situations where say power is lost (which would be similar to a crash-consistent backup). Another is to have us process the logs but specifically not delete the archive logs. The third is having us perform a "copy-only" backup and not process the logs at all.

All three allow you to backup the VM while still leaving database log management to the DBAs.

Joe