Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rblanco
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rex Blanco

Oracle RMAN Plugin for Veeam - Reporting of Backups

Post by rblanco »

Hello All,

We are choosing to use the Oracle RMAN plugin method to backup our Oracle/Linux servers and have successfully installed and performed backup to our Veeam SOBR; working with our DBA Oracle Team they initiated a manual backup and we in return saw the job appear in Veeam B & R console as an running job and completed successfully.

As we progress into our next stage - Monitoring Job Activity/Reports I am finding that there is no reporting mechanism within Veeam B & R similar to our existing jobs that were created in Veeam.

The article I've been following is this one - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Which leads me away from Veeam to Oracle RMAN - https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/ba ... #BRADV8004

1. So my question is, are the findings above indeed true, in that we need to rely on Oracle RMAN to do the reporting of Success and Failure of these particular backup "jobs"; or is there another way in Veeam B & R or Enterprise this can be configured that I'm missing?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Oracle RMAN Plugin for Veeam - Reporting of Backups

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

You can definitely rely on built-in RMAN reporting functionality but we also provide the same reporting mechanism for plug-in jobs as we do for image-level backup jobs. By default, you will get email notification only if plug-in job is completed with "Warning" or "Failed" status. There is a registry value which can be used to adjust email notifications:

Code: Select all

PluginEmailNotifications (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication, type: DWORD)
Value: 0 = disable all
Value: 1 = disable success (default if key is not present)
Value: 2 = disable success, warnings
Value: 3 = disable success, failed
Value: 4 = enable all
Perhaps, you could try it however it's worth taking into account that you would have a lot of notifications about successful runs if you performed log backups several times per day.

Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Oracle RMAN Plugin for Veeam - Reporting of Backups

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Important point here is that we are not the backup application.
We can only partly report the backup process because of it. The data movement part to our Repository.

RMAN will tell us to write things and we will check that this is done correctly.
On the other side we do not know if the backup process completed without issues as RMAN will not tell the Plug-in if something happened that did not allow to complete the process.

On the other side Veeam will notify you when you are running out of capacity.

In the end reporting both sides at lease on warning/failed level is a good idea.