Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

oracle staging server

Post by theviking84 »

Is it possible to use the very same oracle vm that I am doing app aware "every 15 min" log backups of, as my staging server? To where if I needed to restore a point in time, it can leverage that very same vm/oracle for this purpose? Or does it HAVE to be a second oracle server for staging?

Also, can you please give me some ideas on how I could do test restores, whether it was point in time or just at the time of image, how could I do some kind of quick test that does not mess up the live production oracle database?

Maybe use the PUBLISH functionality to just temporarily put the database up? But then it has to be named something else to not interfere with the live data. also i guess I would have to make the client side app know to use the new database name for the testing..
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: oracle staging server

Post by PetrM »

Hi David,

You can use any Oracle server as a staging one, just double check the list of considerations on this page of our help center. I believe the publish functionality might be a way to go, for example you may specify the name and SID under which the database will be published by choosing the different location in this step of the publish wizard. One more option is to run test restores to another server.

Thanks!