Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Parallel processing

Post by trackstar »

Right now, I don't this option checked since i have only one job with 2 Exchange servers.

I plan to add more backup jobs with just regular servers and want to have multiple servers being backed up at once, but still like to have my Exchange backup job to backup the 2 servers sequentially? Can this be done?

Thanks,
TS
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Parallel processing

Post by foggy »

You can arrange VMs in the job in the way where the first Exchange server is processed first and the second placed to be the last in the list, to space them in time.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it can be done. I would suggest deploying additional proxy server for these Exchange servers only. You will need to set max number of concurrent tasks on this proxy to 1. In this case all regular VMs will be processed in parallel by existing proxy servers and your Exchange VMs will go sequentially through that dedicated proxy server.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, it can be done. I would suggest deploying additional proxy server for these Exchange servers only. You will need to set max number of concurrent tasks on this proxy to 1. In this case all regular VMs will be processed in parallel by existing proxy servers and your Exchange VMs will go sequentially through that dedicated proxy server.
Does the additional proxy server have to be a powerful machine or just any machine that redirects traffic to meet this goal.

So what you are saying is my current server (also stores the data backup, 40 TBs) will be used to backup regular VMs in parallel. Then the new proxy server will be used to backup the Exchange VMs (sequentially) but data is still being dump to the originally server with 40TBs.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

I don't see why additional proxy is needed, just space the Exchange servers within the job:

Exchange server 1
All other VMs
Exchange server 2

This way, the Exchange servers will never be backed up simultaneously.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

@Anton - Yes, this will work as well, but looks like the OP has multiple backup jobs and not one that backs up all VMs.

@trackstar - Yes, that's correct. The additional proxy should be any server meeting our recommended system requirements.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Gostev,

Good idea. I wasn't thinking out of the box :mrgreen: I will test 80+ servers sequentially and if that doesn't fit in the time slot I go the suggested route. I wonder how Veeam determine the number of VMs to backup simultaneously when parallel is turned on. I don't want to flood the network traffic (10 Gig Network).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

trackstar wrote:I wonder how Veeam determine the number of VMs to backup simultaneously when parallel is turned on. I don't want to flood the network traffic (10 Gig Network).
This is controlled by the number of concurrent tasks assigned to the proxies and backup repositories (corresponding setting is available in their properties). And task is not even a VM, it is a single VM disk, as, with parallel processing enabled, VM disks are also processed concurrently.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

And if you don't want to fully saturate your network connections, you can always put our network traffic throttling rules into the use. Thanks.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Hello there,

Scenario: parallel processing is turned off

If I have two backup jobs overlapping each other a little bit, would the second job still wait til the first job to be completed?

Nevermind, I just tested it. Both will run overlap of each other.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

trackstar wrote: If I have two backup jobs overlapping each other a little bit, would the second job still wait til the first job to be completed?
In fact, It depends on the number of concurrent tasks your proxy/repository servers can handle. The corresponding value can be specified in the settings of proxy/repository server.

Thanks.