Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mephisto
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Mephisto poa

Ports needed for remote proxy server

Post by mephisto »

I'm trying to test a proxy server at a remote location over the WAN that will provide a repository to a Veeam backup server at a different location. I had the impression that only port 6160 TCP was needed to install the service, and possibly to run if afterwards as proxy to proxy communication should all happen over the 6160 port, so nothing else would be needed to allow this Veeam server to access the repository behind this proxy server?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Ports needed for remote proxy server

Post by foggy »

Hi Mephisto, you can check all the required connections here. Thanks!
mephisto
Expert

Post by mephisto »

I've checked that already, but it is not clear to me if I need anything else than tcp 6160 open at the destination proxy to allow the proxy on the source veeam server to communicate with and perform all its tasks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If I understand you right, it will be a repository server rather than a proxy server. Depending on the repository type, you should open the ports for communication with the source proxy and also those required for communication with Windows or Linux server, depending on the platform used.
mephisto
Expert

Post by mephisto »

It is a proxy to manage the traffic, compression, encryption, then store that in a direct attached storage.

Veeam server > proxy >wan > proxy > repository
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Unless we're talking about replication jobs, there's no proxy server on the remote side - data mover is either running on the repository itself or on a gateway server. In either case, you need to look up the corresponding ports in the section above.
mephisto
Expert

Post by mephisto »

Ah, I thought proxy was also used in this case, now that you mentioned it does make sense just for replication to compress and encrypt the data in transit, to then be decompressed and decrypted at destination back to a regular VM. Thanks!