Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BackupMonkey
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Possible feature requests?

Post by BackupMonkey »

Hi all,

As a new user to Veeam who has had some migration issues from years of of Backup Exec, is there anyway to get the below considered?

1 – Add an option to disable the full backup option on a none-GFS tape job / have the none-GFS tape job check to see if a GFS job has already written the last full to tape. – This way Veeam isn’t writing the same full disk image to tape twice under two backup chains doubling the tape usage.

2 - Allow GFS tape jobs to use more than a single drive.

3 - Have the option to set 'number of restore points per chain' and 'number of chains to keep on disk' would be more flexible than just restore points on disk.

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Possible feature requests?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello BackupMonkey.
Add an option to disable the full backup option on a none-GFS tape job / have the none-GFS tape job check to see if a GFS job has already written the last full to tape. – This way Veeam isn’t writing the same full disk image to tape twice under two backup chains doubling the tape usage.
May I ask why you keep GFS and Simple Media pool together for the same source? Is that to protect incremental restore points between GFS weekly fulls?
Allow GFS tape jobs to use more than a single drive.
This feature is planned.
Have the option to set 'number of restore points per chain' and 'number of chains to keep on disk' would be more flexible than just restore points on disk.
Can you please clarify your use case? Thank you in advance.
BackupMonkey
Influencer

Post by BackupMonkey »

1 - Indeed it is Dima P. We have to have the daily incremental go to tape. I wish it was different but alas, but it also causes issues as the full is written then as part of the GFS job and the daily job as I can't disable it on the daily job.

2 - Happy to hear it.

3 - Sure.
(This is based on my understanding which might not be correct, I'm learning)
Right now I have to keep a 7 day chain and retain 6 weeks so I've had to setup a 7 day restore point job and multiple backup copy jobs to archive off the chain which makes it overly complex.

Veeam is aware of how many restore points and the start/ end to a chain so just populating a retention tab on a disk repo (Think along the lines of the GFS retention tab) it would simplify things 10 fold. - That is, unless I'm doing it wrong :oops:.

Cheers.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks!
I have to keep a 7 day chain and retain 6 weeks
You could increase the regular job retention to 42 restore points (if you run backups daily). If you are worried by long incremental chain - you can schedule periodic active full backup to be created on a weekly basis. In such case you can have an isolated portion of backup chain per week which starts with a full backup.
BackupMonkey
Influencer

Post by BackupMonkey »

That would decrease the job count!

I'll give that a shot, many thanks Dima P.
joebranca
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Brancaleone

Post by joebranca »

Somewhat related to the above question, is there a way to retroactively preserve the oldest (full) restore point for a longer retention than originally configured? For example the VM has nightly backup job set to 42 restore points with forever forward incrementals. Currently the oldest back is on 8/9, but there may be a need to hold on an available restore point prior to 8/14 or so, for an extended period of time. Even when we discontinued the VM from that backup chain, and added it to another backup job starting with a new full, it still is maintaining the 42 restore points on disk total, and we are going to lose the ability to keep something prior to 8/14 in a few days.
joebranca
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Brancaleone

Post by joebranca »

Looks I found the answer elsewhere here... Instant VM recovery from the oldest restore point, do not migrate but run a VeeamZIP job on it with no expiration date.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, this approach works for vSphere VMs, for Hyper-V ones you will have to perform full VM restore before VeeamZIPping it. Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

joebranca wrote: Sep 19, 2018 4:28 pmSomewhat related to the above question, is there a way to retroactively preserve the oldest (full) restore point for a longer retention than originally configured?
I know you figured out the work around, just wanted to note that Update 4 brings a clean way to do the same. Look for "Export Backup" functionality once it is available and you upgrade to it :D