Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
glemmestad
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post-backupjob script not running

Post by glemmestad »

Hi,

I have two Veeam Backup servers backing up an environment with 13 VMWare ESX servers, all running 3.5u4.

Because of the requirement to pull data to tape periodically, for off-site storage, I have come up with the following solution:
- Veeam runs VCB backups against local SAN drives, all weekdays.
- There are a total of 19 backup jobs (8 + 11)
- After the "Friday" backup is finished (some time Saturday morning), the .vbk should be copied over to a NAS storage, as soon as that specific backup job completes.
- Veeam then starts running daily backups again Monday night.
- Legato starts pulling the .vbk-files to tape also Monday night; can run until next Friday night.

Some facts:
- Veeam v3.0.1
- Total .vbk-size is 5,6TB (13 VBKs total).
- All the backup jobs start running between 19:00 and 19:10 each weekday night.
- Veeam doesn't have a functionality to say "Run post-backup script on Friday only"
- Made a .bat-script, which fires off a .vbs script, that checks whether it is Friday or Saturday. If so, it starts copying to the NAS.
- Script is set to run after each backup job.
- I log the running of the script to local disk, wheter it actually copies or not, to track whether it runs.
- Doing the copy at a set time (scheduled) each Saturday is not possible; copying of the .vbk's to NAS have to start directly after that backup job completes to be able to finish before Monday night.

Problem:
- The post-backupjob script is not running (when scheduled). Nothing written to logfiles.
- It IS running when firing off the job manually.
- Tried logging onto Windows as "Veeam service account" and run the .bat-files manually: works.
- Tried running the backup job manually, while logged in as the service account: working.
- Tried checking the "Run every" 1 days checkbox, and tried leaving that box unchecked.

Any ideas?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Post-backupjob script not running

Post by Gostev »

Even, so I remember you were saying this did work before, but now it stopped working at some point? I am guessing this could be some security-related change on the server. I also know that architecturally, the backup job starts differently when you are running it interactively from Veeam Backup UI, comparing to when it does scheduled run.

Anyway, our devs should be able to find more clues from the full log files, could you please provide us with those via support email.
glemmestad
Enthusiast

Post by glemmestad »

Hi Gostev,

I have (had) two theories:
1) Post-backupjob script does not run when status is not Success? (Warning or Failure)
- A lot of our servers are not on the latest version of VMWare Tools, thereby causing most backup jobs to complete with Warning status. I still want the script to run.
2) Script does not run when several backup jobs run at the same time. It seems maybe 1 script works each backup cycle. It's not the first or last backup job to either start or finish, so I don't see an obvious pattern.

The scripts have never worked for all jobs. I only noticed this after a while, and therefor added extensive logging when running the scripts.

Will send the logs through to support.
Thanks.

Kind regards,
Even Glemmestad
glemmestad
Enthusiast

Post by glemmestad »

Sent