Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ToNH
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Allen Massey

PowerChute - Power Failure Shutdown Scenario

Post by ToNH »

Hi All - I'm setting up APC PowerChute software to shutdown all my VM's and Host Servers if we have a power failure (our generator has had problems recently). Can a script be used to tell Veeam to gracefully terminate backups that are in progress before the shutdown? If that can't be done, what happens if the Veeam Backup server/proxy is sent a shutdown command during a backup? Since a backup job might be in progress, should I shutdown the Veeam Server first before the servers that might have a backup in progress, or last after the other servers that might have a backup in progress? Thanks for any help you can provide.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: PowerChute - Power Failure Shutdown Scenario

Post by veremin »

You can write a script making use of Get-VBRJob and Stop-VBRJob commandlets.

The idea here is simple - find all jobs that have "running" state and stop them. Even though, the jobs would not be stopped gracefully (you cannot currently do that via PS) and backups would be in inconsistent state.

However, jobs would still be stopped by backup management server, instead of being interrupted abruptly (as they would be in case of management server shutdown).

Thanks.
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

Is the result of windows stopping the Veeam service not the same? I always thought so as it sometimes takes quite some time for the Veeam service to stop if there are any running jobs...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

While being stopped, backup service does issue stop command to running jobs. However, according to QA team, in order to be on the safe side it's worth stopping running jobs via PowerShell before stopping corresponding service. Thanks.