Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dheckaman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tad Heckaman

Powerloss during replication - Dataloss?

Post by dheckaman »

I have a client that lost power yesterday, and afterwords, they complained that all the data on the file server 'reverted' back a few hours. I'm not sure how I can prove or disprove this... The VM thinks it was offline for just an hour or so. I don't see anything unusual in the logs, besides the obvious errors and full resync due to the unclean shutdown. Would Veeam ever revert a snapshot instead of committing it? If power is lost during a commit operation, would the vmdk get stuck in some funky state?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Powerloss during replication - Dataloss?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tad,

Veeam B&R performs snapshot commit operation at the end of the backup/replication job. If snapshot was not removed for some reason, the subsequent job will commit this snapshot before creating a new one. Revert is never used under any circumstances, because it results data loss.

To get more information on what has happened to this VM, you may want to review VMware VM logs which can be found at the VM home directory.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Vitaliy is spot on - cannot hide a history of what exactly have happened with the VM snapshot - it's all there in the VM log file, and this is the first and last place you should look at.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

Anton and Vitaliy are right. You can even check for it in the vsphere client (if the snapshots were triggered with focus on vcenter), just locate the vm in question and check the events, all snapshot-related operations are listed there, with exact timestamp and duration. But in any case you should check the vm-log.

Best regards,
Joerg