Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mbrown@entint.com
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mason Brown

pre-built veeam proxy

Post by mbrown@entint.com » 1 person likes this post

would it be possible to add an option to deploy prebuilt proxy VMs to each host in a virtual environment. ideally these prebuilt (by Veeam) proxies would be fairly small in storage size, exist on host local storage only (if exists), and would have better resource (memory/cpu) allocation. they could then be easily managed by veeam with little to no interaction needed by IT including being powered on/off by veeam when they are/aren't needed, i.e. power on for veeam processing and power off when job complete. i have a number of clients with such varying configurations where something like this would save many hours of headache and confusion, plus, i think, this would make deployments less complex in the long run.

something like this would ideally also be deployable on demand in case something breaks or, for example, i add additional hosts. kind of like a "ri-click > deploy proxy to host" option within the veeam console.

depending on what veeam R&D can do and how they can create these proxies, this could go a long way to lowering total cost of veeam for customers in that proxies (even if there is some limit to the proxies like amount of proxies or resource configurations like cpu and memory) would reduce total licensing of VMs; not all companies have a need for, or can afford, microsoft windows datacenter licensing.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: pre-built veeam proxy

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I split your request from veeam-backup-replication-f2/new-feature ... 65191.html as it seems to be different from the tape / configuration backup requests.

If you have small customers, then one machine should be enough. If you implement the recommended 3-2-1 rule https://www.veeam.com/blog/3-2-1-rule-f ... ction.html, then you probably have at least one standalone server to avoid chicken-egg problems. So "ready to deploy proxy" does not really help if I understood your customer scenarios correctly. By the way, Veeam also runs on Windows 10 for really small environments.

If you really only need proxies without repository etc... did you think about just packaging your preferred Linux distribution and use it? With V11 we will also add support for NBD, direct SAN and backup from Storage Snapshots for Linux proxies. I recommend to search the forum for Linux proxy, it gives some existing answers / discussions.

Best regards,
Hannes