Pre freeze scripts with Domino Server

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Pre freeze scripts with Domino Server

Veeam Logoby yves » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:10 pm

Hello,

I want to backup a Lotus Domino Server with Windows 2008 R2 and that the Domino service stopped before the backup and restart after.
So I used Pre Freeze scripts and it's not working, the snaphot is created but my service don't stop.
I'm using these pre freeze scripts with others servers for domino or databases and it's working but not for the servers with OS Windows 2008 R2.
Someone have an idea ?
yves
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: yves pereira

Re: Pre freeze scripts with Domino Server

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:29 pm

Hello, I would check VMware log file for this VM to see if pre-freeze scripts are even called... may be you are not placing the scripts to correct place in guest OS (which varies depending on Windows version). Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2433 times

Veeam Logoby NightBird » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:46 pm

I have had the same behavior.
Windows 2008R2 use the old way for placement of pre freeze script, why ? I don't know

Try with : C:\Windows\pre-freeze-script.bat

instead of script in :C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\backupScripts.d\

Boris
NightBird
Service Provider

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby yves » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Thank you NightBird, it's working with the old placement.

Yves
yves
Lurker

Full Name: yves pereira

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 pm

Yves, thanks for updating the topic with the resolution!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1160 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Backing up Lotus Domino Server

Veeam Logoby robertson » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:43 pm

[merged ]

All

I was wondering if anyone could provide assistance with using Veeam B&R with Lotus Domino servers. From reading other posts in the forum I understand I need to use pre and post thaw scripts to stop and start the domino services. Can anyone provide me with example scripts that other domino houses have used in there environments?

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
robertson
Novice

Full Name: Paul Clarke

Veeam Logoby dcbower » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:17 am

Just create a script in the following location : c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\backupScripts.d\pre-freeze-script.bat inside the bat file we have the following code. I have to disable "application-aware image processing" and "Enable VMware tools quiescence" I did have issue with Window 2008 R2 servers but since we upgraded to Ver 5 we haven't had any issues.

@echo off
if %1 == freeze goto freeze
if %1 == thaw goto thaw
if %1 == freezeFail goto freezeFail

:freeze
Net Stop "Lotus Domino Server (LotusDominodata)"
exit
:thaw
net start "Lotus Domino Server (LotusDominodata)"
exit
:freezeFail
net start "Lotus Domino Server (LotusDominodata)"
exit
dcbower
Lurker

Full Name: David Bower

Veeam Logoby robertson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Thankyou for that response David.

I presume the script will stop the domino server,a veem snapshot will be generated and then lotus domino server will start back up?

I have a smaller domino server I can use to test in my enviroment. The Stage im at is currently investigating creating the initial replication job via USB as the domino server is 400GB+ and will take too long to replicate over to my DR SAN.

thanks
robertson
Novice

Full Name: Paul Clarke

Veeam Logoby Guillaume47 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:47 am

When "application-aware image processing" is disable and "Enable VMware tools quiescence" enable,

is the Windows services backup consistent ? (AD, dhcp, sql server, regristry, ...)
Guillaume47
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:42 am

If you're not using custom pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts to backup SQL Server or DC, then your backups are not in consistent state. Generally we recommend to use "application-aware image processing" whenever possible and keep "VMware tools quiescence" enabled for applications that do not have VSS writers and providers.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Guillaume47 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:42 pm

Ok. I have to use "VMware tools quiescence" to stop/start Domino server, oracle databases and other process.
They are not displayed by command "vssadmin list writers". So I believe I cannot use "application-aware image processing" to get a consistent state for those process.

Is there a command to "manually" execute the Windows VSS job during the pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts ?
Or some classical scripts to backup SQL, DC, windows registry and so as VSS does ?
Guillaume47
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Guillaume47 wrote:They are not displayed by command "vssadmin list writers". So I believe I cannot use "application-aware image processing" to get a consistent state for those process.

Yes, that's right. "Application-aware image processing" should be enabled for Windows based VMs with VSS-aware applications deployed, see our sticky F.A.Q. for more info.
Guillaume47 wrote:Is there a command to "manually" execute the Windows VSS job during the pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts ?
Or some classical scripts to backup SQL, DC, windows registry and so as VSS does ?

There should be some scripts available for SQL Server, not sure about the other ones. You may want to search for them on Microsoft TechNet.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Guillaume47 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:46 am

Thank you for explanations.

To get reliable backup, I have to use the "Application-aware image processing" in Veeam, AND to stop/start the lotus and oracle services during the backup job by using the windows task scheduler.
It means the services stop period is over-sized : in a job with several VM, when the lotus VM backup starts and stops ? No one can tell it, so I have to get a large services stop period to ensure it include the VM backup period.
It means too I have to update the windows task scheduler when I modify the Veeam job schedule.
This is complicated. My backups could not be reliables if all the Veeam jobs schedule and the windows task scheduler are not properly synchronized. This is a real risk, and no alarm could prevent it.

To prevent this it would be so nice to be able to launch scripts during a backup process, in the same way VMware tools quiescence do, in addition to the "Application-aware image processing".
So I could automatically stop services just before the job backup snapshot, and start them again when the snapshot creation is finished. Services stop period is then minimal. No more boring and risky windows task schedule to use.
And we continue to get the better of the "Application-aware image processing".
Guillaume47
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:58 am

But why can't you use just VMware Tools quiescence for VMs running Oracle or Domino server? Provided that you do not have any other mission critical applications (Exchange, SQL etc.) deployed on the same VM, it should be enough to have VM backups in consistent state. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Guillaume47 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:29 am

Right, in a perfect world all critical applications should be in different VM.
But even in this case, using only VMware Tools quiescing, and then not using VSS, would not guarantee me that Windows backup is created during a safe/secure state.
And this not my real case.

Isn't there an undocumented functionality to activate both VMware Tools quiescence AND Application-aware image processing during the same backup job ? :]
Guillaume47
Novice

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication