Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
alanwilliams
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alan B. Williams

Pre & Post Script Conversion to Veeam

Post by alanwilliams »

To set the stage, our former Backup Software was Backup Exec. We use Enterprise Vault for our mail archiving and following the migration to Veeam 8, I have not been able to get Enterprise Vault to acknowledge our backup plan as I cannot get the Pre & Post scripts to run correctly.

With BackupExec, the scripts would reside on the Guest(s) you wanted them on and execute there as well. I can seem to get the Pre & Post scripts to work that way with Veeam. The script in particular imports a powershell snap-in(on the guest) and executes a script. According to Veeam support(I opened a ticket), "With Veeam, you'll want the scripts on the Veeam Server. When it's specified to use scripts, the job will upload them to the VM to be run.". So I set it up accordingly. Migrated my scripts to the Veeam server and received the following error: Pre-job script terminated with exit code -262144.

Since Veeam doesn't toggle the archive bit on files, I need to write and clear a trigger file in Enterprise Vault for it to acknowledge our backup process.

Script to clear backups:

Code: Select all

type nul>"\\gccevault\f$\EVDATA\Archives\VSG01\MailboxVS01\Ptn1\ignorearchivebittrigger.txt"

REM clear backup mode on site
"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" -psconsolefile "f:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name GCC -EVServerName gccevault1 -EVObjectType Site}"

REM clear backup mode on indexes in site
"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" -psconsolefile "f:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {clear-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName gccevault1 -EVSiteName GCC}"
Script to Set backup mode on site:

Code: Select all

del "\\gccevault\EVDATA\Archives\VSG01\MailboxVS01\Ptn1\ignorearchivebittrigger.old"

REM Set backup mode on site
"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" -psconsolefile "f:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name GCC -EVServerName gccevault1 -EVObjectType Site}"

REM Set backup mode on indexes in site
"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" -psconsolefile "f:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName gccevault1 -EVSiteName GCC}"
To be honest, I didn't write these scripts, they existed and were functioning prior to my employment. That guy left... :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Pre & Post Script Conversion to Veeam

Post by jmmarton »

There are a couple of spots within a backup job where you can define scripts, but only one is the correct spot for what you're trying to do. To make certain, are you defining the scripts within Guest Processing -> Applications -> edit the VM where the script needs to run -> Scripts?

Joe