Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rogerdu
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Roger Dufour

Preferred Network

Post by rogerdu »

I have a situation where I would like to specify a preferred network for intersite traffic (remote backup copy jobs and remote replication) and only fall back to the default when not using it (say for local backups / backup copies).

If you use this as a basis, the WAN Accelerators are connected to both networks (A and B) but the preferred network between them is B, and using A if B is not available. All the regular services are on A (DNS, AD Time etc) but we want to force the backup replication/copy jobs to go over B. I know there is a global setting for preferred networks, but in this case it would only be used for backup copies and replication between the sites.

The jobs we are doing are local backups, local backup copies, remote backup copies, remote replication. It's the last two that we run through the WAN accelerators, and want to offload the traffic to Network B (which is only connected to these two systems).

Is there a mechanism for this, or would this be a static route thing on each system that would force traffic through Network B (in the picture)?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Preferred Network

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Roger,
could you re-upload the picture since it`s hard to get the idea without it.
rogerdu wrote:I have a situation where I would like to specify a preferred network for intersite traffic (remote backup copy jobs and remote replication) and only fall back to the default when not using it (say for local backups / backup copies).
Do you want to use the default network when preferred is not available or being used by other jobs?
Thanks!
rogerdu
Expert

Post by rogerdu »

damn link... forgot the .jpg

Network B would only be used for Replication and backup copy between the sites... if it was down (for some reason) I would like traffic to go over Network A
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Indeed "Preferred networks" doesn`t have an option to choose particular jobs for particular networks. That looks like an interesting request though.
Thanks!
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

I do this by having the same resources with two names. One name is the ip address on network B the other on A. Then just pick every thing on the route you want.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the input, Larry.
Do you use preferred networks, different backup proxies or anything else?
larry
Veteran

Post by larry » 1 person likes this post

I don't use the preferred network. All proxies, repositories and sources are entered into Veeam with a "B" network IP as a name and a "A" network IP as a name. That way I can choose a prefer network for all job types including tape. I did this to make sure the traffic I wanted stayed all 10g. Some times a job needs to be run during production and I can choose network B so I don't slow the users down.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Adding proxies and repositories twice with differed IPs looks like a good idea. Thanks for sharing it!
rogerdu
Expert

Post by rogerdu »

Larry, While that might work in your case, the point to point network I have between sites A and B are not present on any other system outside of that connection. also, there IS no route to them other than from the 2 systems themselves...
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

That is the case I use it for. Lets take your B network which does not know about network A but A is the default route. Assign a nic on the Veeam server, proxy and backup resopoditory to network B at both ends. Next add a repository, proxy by IP address name. On the above servers add the "add route XXX.XXX.B.X Mask 255.25.255.0 XXX.XXX.2.localaddrerss -p", this sends every thing for the remote b network veeam server out the nic on network B nic of the local server. Now you can create a job which uses all network B address.

hope this makes sense, if not I will try some examples.

Test using tracert XXX.XXX.Bnetworkremote.remoteserver should see it taking the right path. It is important to test coming back as well as both ends need to stay on network B. Every thing will always want network A
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

sorry left out a step, at each device on isolated network
add these routes
route add 10.1.2.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.1.2.IPAddress -p this sends any thing for the isolated network out this nic. - ipaddress is address of local nic on isolated network.
route add 10.1.3.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.1.2.1 (one router for 10.1.2.0 network) -p this sends all traffic for the other side of the isolated network over local side of isolated network then to the router.