tinto1970
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Alessandro T.

Protecting HP Vertica Cluster

Post by tinto1970 »

Hi everyone,

Vertica is a database cluster used for "big data" https://goo.gl/1PgM0a
From system administrator's point of view, it's a shared-nothing cluster running on linux.

We have installed a 3 node cluster on sles, configured a backup job with VMTools quiescence disabled. It seems that the brief stun during snapshot creation/removal is not tolerated from che Vertica cluster, which shuts down itself.

Naturally the best approach is to reduce the impact of the snapshot on VMs (i.e. upgrading from ESXi5.5 to 6.x, and implementing Storage Snapshot integretion on Veeam), but it's possible that even after the best tuning, the Vertica Cluster will remain "too sensitive". So it will probably necessary to implement a script to put the DB in halted state before backup and restart it later.

Has someone here experience with this particular product?

Thanks in advance.
Alessandro aka Tinto | VMCE 2024 | Veeam Legend | VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT2023 | vExpert 2024
blog.tinivelli.com
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Protecting HP Vertica Cluster

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

No, but general rules for SnapShot commit applies here.
Reduce VM disc count (to 1-4), Install ESXi 6 with Feb 2016 Patch level (new Snapshot commit technology), usage of block instead of NFS technology.... as well place all disks incl boot disk on fast storage. Usage of Backup from Storage Snapshot is as well a good ideas as you said. Avoid HotAdd backup mode (with NFS Storage).

Many cluster heartbeats can be tuned as well.
tinto1970
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Alessandro T.

Post by tinto1970 »

Andreas Neufert wrote:No, but general rules for SnapShot commit applies here.
Avoid HotAdd backup mode (with NFS Storage).

Many cluster heartbeats can be tuned as well.
yes i have forced all my proxies in network mode, waiting for the storage snapshot integration.
I have searched the documentation of this database cluster, but i haven't still found any "sensitivity tuning" parameter. I will try asking on their forum.

At the moment we are going to implement a pre/post script to shutdown and restart the db before/after the job. I will post here when done, maybe it could bo useful for someother in future.

thank you for your reply.
Tschüß
Alessandro aka Tinto | VMCE 2024 | Veeam Legend | VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT2023 | vExpert 2024
blog.tinivelli.com
Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kellen Flood

Post by Kellen.Flood »

Has anyone had any additional experience with Veeam and Vertica?