Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Query about merging

Post by pkelly_sts »

Just wondering the answer to this one.

Let's say you create a backup copy job & configure it with 14 RPs, then run the job for a week.

If you then add a couple of new VMs to the same job, when does the first merge happen, and what exactly gets merged?

I'd assume that if it's going to a "traditional" single .vbk then the merge would simply happen after the 15th iteration of the job so there would be a big .VIB for the day you added the extra VMs, until that VIB was "ingested" & expired by the coming merge.

However, with a per-vm backup repository, should I expect it to merge the originally added VMs as per schedule, and also the later-added VMs won't be merged until they reach their own 15th RP?

Just checking...
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Query about merging

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Paul,
pkelly_sts wrote:so there would be a big .VIB for the day you added the extra VMs, until that VIB was "ingested" & expired by the coming merge.
That's correct. Newly added VMs will be included in the next incremental run and injected in the .vbk according to the retention policy.
pkelly_sts wrote:However, with a per-vm backup repository, should I expect it to merge the originally added VMs as per schedule, and also the later-added VMs won't be merged until they reach their own 15th RP?
If I get you right, under merge you mean injection of incremental files to the full backup, then yes, originally added VMs will start to merge according to the retention policy. Thanks!