Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Question about stopping replication

Post by m.novelli »

Hi guys, a couple of questions that are unclear to me:

- what happens when I stop a replication job? The VM that is being replicated is left in an inconsistent state? The subsequent replica will solve the problem or I should remove the VM from replica and start from scratch?

- when there is a dirty shutdown of ESXi hosts and SAN, Veeam B&R during next backup cycle give a CBT error and perform a full backup. What about the replica?

Many thanks :)

Marco
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Question about stopping replication

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Marco:
- veeam creates every replica point as snapshot, so only the failed point in time is in inconsistent state, all other points are good to be used
- when CBT fails, Veeam does not do a full backup, instead it does a full "scan" of a vmdk to look after changed blocks

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
robg
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Rob

[MERGED] question about replica resiliency

Post by robg »

So, whenever a replication process is underway and you click the stop button, it warns that the replica might not work as a result. This raises the question of what if the source site crashes during a replication process, would that potentially make the replica in progress unusable?

Maybe a stupid question, you seem to have thought of everything, but I would like to know for piece of mind. Especially with a lot of activity during that day, it would be a concern.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Rob, I assume you're talking about vSphere, right? Since Veeam B&R stores replica restore points in native format (each restore point is a VMware snapshot), in case of replication stop or failure, only the latest restore point is left inconsistent. All previous restore points are valid and recoverable. Subsequent replication job run will clean up inconsistent restore point.
robg
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Rob

Post by robg »

thanks for the info.. by the way when you merge threads like this I no longer get an email notification when a response is posted
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

We typically merge duplicate discussions in an effort to keep the forum more consistent and easy to use. I will check whether we can enable notifications for the merged threads though.