Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
agawad
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: A.G

Question about Veeam's handling of NTFS permissions

Post by agawad »

Hey all, I have a question regarding how Veeam handles the backup of file shares that have some fairly granular NTFS permissions.

If I understand correctly, in a file backup job, if I check "Files and Folders (slower)" under ACL Handling, then NTFS permissions are preserved. However, what happens if I give Veeam the credentials of a user that does not have complete read/write access to every file and folder in the folder I'm backing up? Would Veeam still be able to do a complete file backup job? If yes, then how? And does this apply also to Replication and Backup jobs, as opposed to a file-level backup jobs?

Thanks in advance!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Question about Veeam's handling of NTFS permissions

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

Yes, Veeam will be able to complete a file-level backup job in this case. Files that cannot be accessed will be skipped, and you will see the corresponding note in the job's session log.

The same question is irrelevant to image-level backup jobs, because what is backed up there is the entire disk image, as opposed to individual files. NTFS permissions don't matter because individual files are never accessed by the job.

Thanks!