Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
khalilm
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mo Malik

Question about VSS and Non VSS Backup

Post by khalilm »

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help with a query with Veeam backup jobs, we need backup VSS(Win7,2008, 2003, 2012 VM mainly) and Non VSS(linux Machine mix flavors), I was wondering when creating backup jobs is it best to back them up in one job with a mixture of vss and non vss or should we go down the route of the all vss and all non vss.

Speaking to a old colleague he was believed that putting all vss vm in on job was better as the way veeam quickly and have (Application-Aware Image Processing) enabled and thus you need to different jobs. The main reason why are asking is that we control access to our ESX by folder permissions (i.e Sales VM, Marketing VM), if we were to have two different backup jobs then we may need to have sub folder under each which could become very hard to manage(i.e Sales Vm which has Sales VSS VM and Sales Non VSS folder).

I would be gratefull if anyone can help with their experience or knowledge

Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question about VSS and Non VSS Backup

Post by foggy »

You can back them up in a single job, VSS will be used where applicable.
khalilm wrote:The main reason why are asking is that we control access to our ESX by folder permissions (i.e Sales VM, Marketing VM), if we were to have two different backup jobs then we may need to have sub folder under each which could become very hard to manage(i.e Sales Vm which has Sales VSS VM and Sales Non VSS folder).
If the reason for this is how VMs are added into jobs, then this is not necessary. You can use vSphere tags, for example.