Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HJAdams123
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Harold Adams

Question around Credentials and Proxies\Repositories

Post by HJAdams123 »

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I could not find anything searching around on the community...

In my veeam installations, I used one account for everything. I used this account to run the Veeam services, to access the SQL server that has the Veeam database, used the account to add all Windows servers that eventually became my proxies and repositories. The same account I also use as a Veeam credential to access many of my clients I backup. Well, I now have a need to change the account that used by all of this...so I start the process by stopping the Veeam services on the backup server. I change the account associated with those services, and restart them. No problem there. I then open Veeam B&R and add this new credential. Once added, I change to this new credential for all of the windows servers that are proxies and repositories. I then go thru all of my jobs and change to this new credential. No problems. So I run Veeam for a few days after doing this, and everything is working great. I hover over the old credential in Veeam, verify that nothing is being referenced by it any more. So I disable the old account in Active Directory. Later that day after disabling the account, I notice that all of my proxies are showing unavailable\offline with red X's over them. I re-enable the old account, re-scan the windows server that are the proxies, and they come back to life and stay that way, until I disable the old account again, same problem later that day....

So my question here is, as it pertains to windows based proxies and repositories, I thought the only thing you would have to do to change the account Veeam users to access those servers is to change the account\credentials in the properties of the windows server? It seems like based on what I am seeing, the old account is getting "tattooed" into some part of the configuration, even after changing to a new credential.... Thoughts?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question around Credentials and Proxies\Repositories

Post by foggy »

Hi Harold, could be some Veeam service that you forgot to change the account for, for example. I recommend asking support to revisit and verify all the places where the account needs to be changed.
HJAdams123
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Harold Adams

Re: Question around Credentials and Proxies\Repositories

Post by HJAdams123 »

Foggy, I know for a fact that all of the veeam related services on my backup server that was using the previous account have been changed to the new account, and the services have been restarted after the change. Now when I look at the services on a proxy server, or a repository server, they all seem to run under "local system" But I will see about contacting Support to see what they have to say. Thanks!