Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
grotherus
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Johan Grotherus

Quick Migration issue in Free Edition

Post by grotherus »

Hi all,

I was wondering about this issue that occurs when migrating a VM from one Vsphere host to another and the network stops working. The two Vsphere hosts has the same name for the specified Port Group (standard vSwitch0), and still the network fails. The migration is using vMotion. The funny thing is that if I migrate a Windows VM, the migration between the Vsphere hosts works without any network problems, but migrating a Linux VM from the same Vsphere host to the other has network issues. The two VM's have identical network labels, so what could be causing this issue? Both VM's have Vmware Tools installed and are up to date. Are there any significant difference in migrating a Linux VM and a Windows VM?

I am using the Free Edition version 8 with update 2.

Any ideas?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Quick Migration issue in Free Edition

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Johan,
What kind of error do you see when trying to migrate Lunix VMs?
Have you tried to contact Veeam technical support for the issue investigation? Thanks!
grotherus
Novice

Post by grotherus »

I do not see any error at all, it shows a successful migration of the Linux VM (including Network traffic verification detected no corrupted blocks), but the network is not working. The machine is migrated from one host to the other. In the VM settings though, the network is not connected and even if I connect it and save the configuration and open it again, it it still disconnected. It says exactly the same for the Windows VM, but for the Windows VM, the network is still functional after the migration is complete.

I have not contacted Veeam technical support as I am using the Free Edition and as I understand is not eligible for support. Once I move on to evaluate the full version, I will contact support if this issue remains, and I am pretty sure it will as the quick migration technology seems to be the same in both the free and the paid version of the product. I was just wondering if anyone else had witnessed this behavior before and knew what to do about it?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What particular distributive are you using? What about type of network adapter?

As to support ticket, users even with free versions are eligible for support. The speed of answers will depend on support availability, though.

Thanks.
grotherus
Novice

Post by grotherus »

The Linux VM is running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-Bit with the E1000 network adapter. As far as submitting a report to Veeam Support, I will do that later today.