Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jcalver
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: James Calver

Quick migration: Preparing Error: Index was out of range

Post by jcalver »

I've submitted a support case for this (Case # 02141797), but maybe I can get some help quicker here. I'm currently on the evaluation licence so I don't know how long Support will take to get back to me.

Here is my situation. I want to migrate a Linux VM from a standalone ESXi 4.1 host to new ESXi 6.5 standalone host. I've tried using the Quick Migration tool, and the VM is powered off.
This linux VM has two vmdks on separate LUNS of a SAN. The SAN is only connected to the ESXi 4.1 host. Every time I try the Quick migration, I get the following errors after about 46-47 seconds.

Code: Select all

4/30/2017 10:09:04 PM :: Starting VM migration-test processing at 4/30/2017 10:09:04 PM  
4/30/2017 10:09:04 PM :: Migration plan: 
[Mode] Cold migration 
[Host] esxi01.corp.com > esxi02.corp.com
[Resource pool] Resources > Resources
[VM folder] vm > vm
[Datastore] DC2-md3200i-B > esxi02_ds

4/30/2017 10:09:04 PM :: Preparing Error: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index  
4/30/2017 10:09:17 PM :: Failed to process VM migration-test at 2017-04-30T220917 Error: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index  
4/30/2017 10:09:17 PM :: Network traffic verification detected no corrupted blocks  
4/30/2017 10:09:18 PM :: Processing finished with errors at 4/30/2017 10:09:17 PM  

In the first part, it only lists one of the two datastores in the [Datastore] field. There should be DC2-md3200i-D as well, going to the same datastore on the destination host. In the Quick Migration setup, I check the VMDK copy settings, and both VMDKs are listed there, and both look to at set to be moved to esxi02-dc.

If I remove the second VMDK, so there is only the main OS vmdk, quick migration works as expected.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Any I trying to do the migration wrong? There are about 4-5 vms on the esxi 4.1 host, and my goal is to move all of those VMs to the 6.5 host. How it's actually done, doesn't really matter to me, as long as it works.
Thanks in advance for any help!

James
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Quick migration: Preparing Error: Index was out of range

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi James,

Have you tried replicating this Linux VM? Does it return the same error message? Do you have any existing snapshots for this VM?

Thanks!
jcalver
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: James Calver

Post by jcalver »

Hi Vitaliy

Thanks for getting back to me. I have not tried a replication, I can't try that now, but I can try during my upcoming maintenance window.

I've read up on Replication, if I replicate a powered off VM, it will copy everything and then finish correct? A lot of the documentation is talking about scheduled replications etc. I just want to copy all the data, and then hopefully never need to turn the old VM back on.

In looking up Replication, I also looked at VM Copy. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but what is the difference between Quick Migration, Replication and VM Copy. Especially Quick Migration and VM Copy, look to be basically the same.

Thanks for you help

James
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jcalver wrote:In looking up Replication, I also looked at VM Copy. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but what is the difference between Quick Migration, Replication and VM Copy. Especially Quick Migration and VM Copy, look to be basically the same.
Yes, they do almost the same job, please review this topic to understand the difference.

The reason why I've asked you to try replication job is to see whether you have the same error or not. Most likely, you face the same issue which might be related to the second virtual disk of this VM.