PaulITGuy
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Paul S

Re-design with ReFS, need advice

Post by PaulITGuy »

Current Environment:
Veeam B&R 9.5 U2 Enterprise (Not plus)
primary site: Backup Repository 160 TB across 4 volumes, Win2012 with Dedup.
secondary site: Backup Repository 60 TB across 2 volumes, Win2012 with Dedup.
DR Site: all critical VM's replicated. VMware.
No SOBR in use currently.

Backup strategy:
60 to 90 daily recovery points for each VM via backup job.
1 year of recovery points via backup copy job.

Current issues:
- biggest issue is that the volumes keeping filling up before we reach our recovery point goals. meaning we have less than 1 year of recovery points available.
- backup jobs and backup copy jobs often fight for the same disk space due to lack of disk space.
- backup copy jobs take a long time during transforms (merge, etc...)
- when a volume fills up and my jobs fail, there is often space on another volume, but it can't use it with my current setup.

New Backup repository server being added:

Windows 2016
ReFS volume with 80 TB.
located at primary site.

What I thought I was going to do:
- Add new ReFS volume and start using SOBR.
- Create two new SOBRs: 1 for NTFS repositories and 1 for ReFS repositories
- point jobs at one of the two new SOBRs

Issues that destroyed my dreams:
- my license only allows for one SOBR
- You can't add repositories to a SOBR if the repository is currently in use by certain job types. The error dialog shows my replication jobs as the reason I Can't create a SOBR. Not sure why since replication jobs should only be using that repository as source not as destination.

My questions:
- What is the best way to incorporate my new 80TBs of space while leveraging ReFS in a useful way?
- Do I lose some of the benefits of ReFS and SOBR if I group all my NTFS and ReFS volumes into the same SOBR?
- I currently have a full volume and some other recovery points that need to be moved somewhere, If I copy files to the new ReFS volume I don't get any benefit unless they are stored using Veeam/ReFS APIs, correct?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Re-design with ReFS, need advice

Post by foggy »

PaulITGuy wrote:- You can't add repositories to a SOBR if the repository is currently in use by certain job types. The error dialog shows my replication jobs as the reason I Can't create a SOBR. Not sure why since replication jobs should only be using that repository as source not as destination.
Any chance it is used to store replica metadata, which is not supported by SOBR?
PaulITGuy wrote:- Do I lose some of the benefits of ReFS and SOBR if I group all my NTFS and ReFS volumes into the same SOBR?
You should not lose anything but keep in mind that fastclone works within the limits of a single extent.
PaulITGuy wrote:- I currently have a full volume and some other recovery points that need to be moved somewhere, If I copy files to the new ReFS volume I don't get any benefit unless they are stored using Veeam/ReFS APIs, correct?
You need to trigger the full backup for the job so it could start utilizing fastclone during subsequent backups.
PaulITGuy
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Paul S

Post by PaulITGuy »

How do I tell where the replica metadata is kept?

Does data in a repository get erased when I add it to SOBR?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

PaulITGuy wrote:How do I tell where the replica metadata is kept?
You can open replication job and check the repository specified there at the Job Settings step.
PaulITGuy wrote:Does data in a repository get erased when I add it to SOBR?
No, but keep in mind the following limitations.