Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stepkinetic
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ryan Phillips

rebuild of a VM/Issues with Batch Job

Post by stepkinetic »

Hello!

I had a quick question regarding the rebuilding of a server in vSphere.

I recreated the server, with the same name but now it is a 64bit machine. I expected the backup to fail, so I had removed the VM from the job, as well as removed it's corresponding backups. When I added it back to the job, that night the backup failed. Can someone explain what I need to do in order for this to work?

Also, why is it that when a single VM fails in the batch job, it the fails any proceeding VM in the batch job? Is there a setting to change that? or is that the design?

Thanks!

Best,

Ryan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: rebuild of a VM/Issues with Batch Job

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Ryan,
stepkinetic wrote:Can someone explain what I need to do in order for this to work?
Actually, you've already done everything to make it work. Re-adding VM to the backup job should be all you need to do. Can you please tell me what kind of error you had for this VM?
stepkinetic wrote:Also, why is it that when a single VM fails in the batch job, it the fails any proceeding VM in the batch job? Is there a setting to change that? or is that the design?
Not sure I fully understand your question, do you chain your jobs with a batch file?

Thank you!
stepkinetic
Influencer

Post by stepkinetic »

The error claims that the VM is unavailable. I just re-added it from vCenter yet again today and it finds it with no issues. I'm wondering if there is something associated to the job, a unique identifier or something that when I built the new VM and re-added it....because it has the same name it's erroring.

When I said "batch" I just meant a job with multiple VMs in it. When one fails, anything thereafter fails in that job.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

stepkinetic wrote:The error claims that the VM is unavailable. I just re-added it from vCenter yet again today and it finds it with no issues. I'm wondering if there is something associated to the job, a unique identifier or something that when I built the new VM and re-added it....because it has the same name it's erroring.
VMs are tracked by their moref IDs (unique ID within the vCenter Server). Most likely your topology hasn't been updated and Veeam backup server tried to backup that VM based on the old ID, which no longer existed, and this in turn led to the job failure.
stepkinetic wrote:When I said "batch" I just meant a job with multiple VMs in it. When one fails, anything thereafter fails in that job.
That shouldn't be the case. When one of the VMs in the job fails, job proceeds with other VMs in the list. Once all VMs are processed, the job re-tries to backup the failed VM for three times (by default) and then either fails or shows a success status.
stepkinetic
Influencer

Post by stepkinetic »

If it has been two days with the same issue, what can I do to ensure my topology is updated? Would it be as simple as restarting the services?

I do apologize, you are correct on this. user error, I wasn't reading the alerts correctly. The VMs did in fact, all process. I do see the retries for the VM in question, with subsequent failures.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

stepkinetic wrote:If it has been two days with the same issue, what can I do to ensure my topology is updated? Would it be as simple as restarting the services?
This happens automatically on daily basis if I remember correctly, so you do not need to do anything. Anyway, it was just a wild guess, the true reason of the failure can only be determined after reviewing job debug logs.