Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
enricop
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Rebuild Veeam B&R Server

Post by enricop »

We have a dedicated physical Windows Server 2012 where Veeam (9.4U4b) is installed, with drive C: used for windows and Veeam B&R software and separate disk/volume for the backup repositories.

We are planning to rebuild the server with Windows 2019 and add some disk, so we need to backup and reinstall everything, what's the correct procedure?

I know that I need to copy the backup repositories somewhere else and that's fine, I'm not sure what I need as far as Veeam is concerned
Is the configuration backup sufficient?

I guess that the rebuild process would be:

- install O.S.
- install Veeam
- copy back to original path the backup repositories
- restore configuration backup

Is this correct? Am I missing something?
Do I need to rescan the repositories or something else?

Just in case I'm planning to backup the system (excluding repos) with stand alone Veeam Windows Backup Agent.

Thank you for your advice.

Enrico
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Rebuild Veeam B&R Server

Post by foggy »

Hi Enrico, the outlined procedure should be enough. You can rescan the infrastructure after configuration restore to ensure everything is picked up. Thanks!
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Rebuild Veeam B&R Server

Post by skrause »

Are you using the same hardware?

While you definitely should have extra copies of the backup files somewhere, you can probably just install 2019 on the C: volume and then bring the other disks online in Disk Management which would alleviate the need to copy the files back onto the server. This would only work if you were planning on having the disks stay as NTFS, of course. If you were planning on reformatting as ReFS then you would need to copy them off and back onto the newly created volumes.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect