Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bhagen
Expert
Liked: 29 times

Recommendation for read-only viewing?

Post by bhagen »

We had a situation last week where we didn't backup a set of files the way a user expected them to be backed up.

We've since gotten it figured out and we're all in sync about which files / how long they're backed up / etc., but the user now wants the ability to see what files have been backed up.

The issue is that we're simply backing up the entire VM that the files reside on...so in order to verify the specific files, we have to start a restore job and drill down to see if the files are there.

That would require us to teach this user Veeam, and give them access to start a restore job! Not gonna happen.

So...is there some sort of report I can run (and automate) that can show that yes, these specific files were baked up, and that I can send to this user?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Recommendation for read-only viewing?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
simply backing up the entire VM
as you posted in the vSphere forum, I assume that we are talking about VM-based backup. And normally customers back up the full VM, yes. Anything else would end up in a large management overhead.
and give them access to start a restore job! Not gonna happen.
with Enterprise manager and delegation that would be an easy task by the way. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
these specific files were baked up, and that I can send to this user?
I still assume that you are doing VM-based backup. With VM-based backup, there are always all files backed up. So you could set up email notifications in the backup job. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Or Powershell can also generate a report

Best regards,
Hannes
bhagen
Expert
Liked: 29 times

Post by bhagen »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, you're correct; the files in question are on a Windows server, which is a vmware VM, in a vsphere cluster.

Yes, we're backing up the entire VM, so I of course have no doubts that the files are being backed up.

I'll clarify a few points:
1. This is a one-off scenario; it's only this specific backup job that needs this attention...no other backup jobs need this level of "inspection" by any users
2. This backup is a "forever" backup, that we literally have to keep - and be able to restore from any / all specific days - for 10 years
3. I blew it by not checking the "incrementals" box in our tape backup, so we lost all the incrementals for an entire 3 month period when the backup to tape job rolled up all 31 daily incrementals into a single monthly restore point. :-(
4. I've since worked with support to understand and fix the backup jobs involved, and now have weekly tape jobs that capture all the incrementals from the regular job
5. But because of the lost restore points, the user has lost confidence, and now wants to be able to check for themself at any time that we can restore their one specific folder from any date
6. Understandably, the user now won't accept "the job completed, so that means your files are safe"
7. Again, the only way I can find to show that this specific folder is "safe" is to start a restore job and drill down to that specific folder, on whatever specific date the user wants to see.

I'm looking for a hopefully better / automated way to do step 7. :-)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

yes, that drill down is possible via web browser in Enterprise Manager.

You can also automate file restores with PowerShell. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110