Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jmiller@mvta.com
Lurker
Liked: never

Recommendation: Repo Replacement Easier or Automated

Post by jmiller@mvta.com »

I recently had some issues that required me to reinstall Windows Server on my main repository. The OS was on a separate partition so I was able to leave all my backups in place and just redo the OS. I thought this would be easy in Veeam 10, but it was tedious. I had to remove all my backups from configuration and then manually edit each job to point it to a temporary new repo. I have Surebackup setup and it wouldn't let me remove the backups from configuration until I deleted all my Application Groups. After getting the OS installed I had to add the server, install the services by setting it up as a Repo, re-import all the backup jobs, and edit each job and point it back to each backup.

I was eventually able to get it all back up and configured using the excellent Veeam support, but I think that this is a pretty common thing that happens and I feel like the process can be automated or made easier. Also I feel like having to delete your Surebackup groups is not acceptable.

Anyway, I thought I would add my two cents and hopefully list the steps for someone else who finds themselves in this position.

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Recommendation: Repo Replacement Easier or Automated

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

For me it is not clear why you had to do all these things. Normally in that situation, customers setup the machine with the same name / DNS / IP again and keep everything running. After the new machine is installed, it is required to go through the managed server / repository wizard again (next, next, finish) to install the Veeam components.

For situations with temporary backup it is easier to clone existing jobs and point them to the temporary repository.

Best regards,
Hannes
jmiller@mvta.com
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by jmiller@mvta.com »

If that's all it would have taken than I am pretty upset. I was following the exact steps given to me from Veeam Support?? Case # 04077689
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I read through the case and I need to defend support.

Support should help with "I have error message XYZ". But it's not their job to answer "how do I do ABC". They are also not covering best practices. They are for "break & fix". Best practices and HOWTOs is the job of a Veeam partner.

from the support policy
It is beyond the scope of Veeam Support’s responsibility to provide installation, configuration, and upgrades
of our products. Walkthroughs of installations and upgrades are not supported.
Best regards,
Hannes